Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pepsinio
Punch Card
Views: 927
Message 91 of 180

Re: Yoga x1 3rd gen keyboard backlight flickering

i have disabled the ambient light sensor. Makes no difference Smiley Sad
I also experience severe coil whine with the dock occasionally thus I'm really considering to go for a replacement. Since i am still in the first 15 days period can just ask a full refund, but there is no alternative to this machine on the market sadly.

It's unfortunate such a good machine on paper with sooooo many problems

jefferai
Punch Card
Views: 894
Message 92 of 180

I have a 20LD with flickering. There's no evidence it's model specific given that the keyboard, backlight, and bios are shared between models. As has been noted, it's something to do with going into or waking from suspend mode, because turning off Connected Standby to force hibernation makes the problem go away.

Chet56
Paper Tape
Views: 848
Message 93 of 180

I received my 20LD last week, after playing with it I found zero of the common issues that are easily noticeable. However, after the BIOS update that took place last week I found that upon opening my fully charged laptop a very auditable rustling static sound came from my upper keyboard (it was much louder than coil whine and had a very quick electrical discharge sound to it). This diminished after I quickly pulled the PC power cord out of fear of shorting the electronics. I was able to repeat this a 2nd time after using the PC for a day and fully charging it again, but since then have not had luck. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this due to the nature of the BIOS update and the location of the static sounds. Could a component in some cases been overwhelmed and potentially ruined due to this update and now is causing your keyboards to flicker? I don’t seem to be having the flickering keyboard issues in my case, but I have noticed that the auto-dim setting doesn’t seem to properly work for light sensitivity, e.g. turning auto-dim on in a dark environment using Fn+space will render the backlights off until exposed to room lights and then again to a dark environment.

Pepsinio
Punch Card
Views: 837
Message 94 of 180

I guess you experience the same electrical noises as i did. Sometimes it sounds very scary indeed, but hard to reproduce consistently. Auto-dim does not work well on my machine either so i have just disabled it.
jefferai
Punch Card
Views: 780
Message 95 of 180

I got that noise (a while back, well before the 1.11 update). It was like this sudden very loud pop and crackle. After that I got some really bad coil whine until I removed the AC cord.

I haven't heard that loud pop again, but every now and then I do hear coil whine when AC is plugged in. Not most of the time, but occasionally.

I had been wondering what blew when that happened. Nothing I noticed right away for sure. But maybe that in combination with another update has to do with the flickering.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 773
Message 96 of 180

All,

We found the cause and solution for the keyboard backlight flickering issue.  It will be fixed in an upcoming BIOS update.

jefferai
Punch Card
Views: 765
Message 97 of 180

Awesome!

Several of us have experienced a very loud pop/electrical noise. Maybe it's not related...I could open a different thread, but, do you happen to know if we will invalidate our warranty if we open up the case to do a visual inspection? E.g. if I see scorch marks on the mobile then something definitely shorted/blew.

jefferai
Punch Card
Views: 764
Message 98 of 180

Oh, one other question about the upcoming bios update to fix this issue: will it also include the fan speed changes? If not will it be safe to update the bios but then use the available patch to update the fan controller?

Thanks!

Pepsinio
Punch Card
Views: 672
Message 99 of 180

Thanks for the good news!
I don't want to be greedy, but i have the same question as @jefferai Smiley Happy Would the bios update also solve the electrical noise? I really get scared when i hear it.
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 668
Message 100 of 180

I'm expecting the next BIOS update to be the permanent fix for the fan and the keyboard backlight flickering.  I'm not sure when it will be released yet.  I really have no idea about the electrical noise.  It would probably be better to discuss it in a separate thread.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors