Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
robert_q
Paper Tape
Views: 844
Message 151 of 180

Re: Yoga x1 3rd gen keyboard backlight flickering

@someotherguy wrote:

I have the new EC firmware that is supposed to fix the (1) keyboard backlight flickering, and (2) annoying high-pitched noise that happens when AC attached.  I'm looking for volunteers to install it and report feedback about these 2 issues.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!ApXWjQB7_a1bhbwofnE5JzEFHI7vpQ

How to install:

1.  download and extract the .zip from above link

2.  plug in AC power

3.  double-click on winuptp.exe

4.  follow on-screen prompts

When the EC firmware is installed successfully, check BIOS setup to make sure Embedded Controller Version is reported as "N25HT19W (1.07)"

Hi someotherguy,

so far it worked for me, no more keyboard flickering and no "frozen" keyboard after wakeup from sleep mode.

Noise when AC is conneced is still noticeable, but much quieter. With BIOS 1.12 it was really frightening. I immediately removed the power chord since i feared the Laptop will be damaged.

The unreliable fingerprint reader is still an issue, eventhough the driver upgrade  improved the recognition.

For lenovo it is not a glorious chapter to deliver an espected top-line product (with a corresponding price tag) with so many errors.

Thank you though for your support.

NJGLEN
Punch Card
Views: 840
Message 152 of 180

After the EC update the flicker has stopped. Will wait for the offical fix before rolling out to our users.

Pepsinio
Punch Card
Views: 764
Message 153 of 180

i have noticed that if i flip into tablet mode the mouse pad and trackpoint are still active. Also it does not go into tablet mode. Can it be related or it is something else? I feel like the sensor for tablet mode is not working
TheScarfix
Core Memory
Views: 760
Message 154 of 180

Yeah same here with the tablet mode, think we should open another thread for this though. Tablet mode seems unreliable. 

jefferai
Punch Card
Views: 748
Message 155 of 180

Do link here when you start it...

Pepsinio
Punch Card
Views: 724
Message 156 of 180

I don't think it is sepearte thread. I have it since trying the beta bios shared by @someotherguy. maybe it is not related and is not working due to different reason, however this is my observation

Chet56
Paper Tape
Views: 717
Message 157 of 180

Thank you for the ongoing support someotherguy!

I can confirm that keyboard flickering has been corrected in this update. However, cycling of the keyboard lighting using ‘Fn-Space’ is not sequential, it seems almost random. This is obvious when looking at the keyboard settings in the Lenovo Vantage application. In addition, the auto-dim option seems to still have issues when selected through the ‘Fn-Space’ and not directly in the vantage application.

The electrical noise created by the AC power plug or other thunderbolt adapters is still present.

I also can confirm that my mouse pad and trackpoint are still active in tablet mode. Not sure if this has always been the case for me or a side effect of this update.

Horgh
Punch Card
Views: 698
Message 158 of 180

I can also confirm the following:

1. Firmware update fixed the keyboard flicker for me

2. Keyboard light cycling throgh Fn + Spacebar is not reliable. Still seems to get hung up and I'm never sure what mode I'm in.

3. Auto-dimming of the keyboard light feels laggy, maybe even random.

4. My pointed moves to the lower right corner of the screen on its own, popping up the notifications panel, sometimes minimizing windows. This was happening before the firmware update, but it's only been happening for the past two weeks or so. Not consistantly, but enough to be annoying. Rebooting seems ot fix it for a few days.

5. My trackpad does not stay active in tablet mode.

Maybe I should donate this thing and just buy a Dell.

robert_q
Paper Tape
Views: 642
Message 159 of 180

@Horgh wrote:

I can also confirm the following:

1. Firmware update fixed the keyboard flicker for me

2. Keyboard light cycling throgh Fn + Spacebar is not reliable. Still seems to get hung up and I'm never sure what mode I'm in.

3. Auto-dimming of the keyboard light feels laggy, maybe even random.

4. My pointed moves to the lower right corner of the screen on its own, popping up the notifications panel, sometimes minimizing windows. This was happening before the firmware update, but it's only been happening for the past two weeks or so. Not consistantly, but enough to be annoying. Rebooting seems ot fix it for a few days.

5. My trackpad does not stay active in tablet mode.

Maybe I should donate this thing and just buy a Dell.

My trackpad is deactivated in tablet mode.

Prior to the BIOS posted by someotherguy i downgraded the BIOS to 1.11 since Coil-Whinning and electric buzz was so bad with 1.12

Regards Robert

ejgallego
Punch Card
Views: 467
Message 160 of 180

This was an issue for me before the laptop just died; I am not sure it can considered "solved" yet as in "install this experimental firmware".

I join some other posters in the unaceptability of such problems in a professional laptop with a professional price tag. If we pay way over $3.000 it's not because we have plenty of time to lose with our tools.

Anyways thanks to all Lenovo engineers for your efforts on fixing this.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors