Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AT17
Punch Card
Views: 1,037
Message 31 of 180

Re: Yoga x1 3rd gen keyboard backlight flickering

I noticed that if i press "Strg" (which is in my case "FN" since i swapped these) it stops flickering for some time and just lights. Generally it seems to react to keyboard "usage".

@zaclab: The beep could come from pressing too many keys at once.

zaclab
Punch Card
Views: 1,011
Message 32 of 180

Yes it is that kind of a beep exactly but I was not pressing too many keys at once, just typing normally. 

Weird stuff. What a shame because otherwise it is such a lovely machine.

AdamNP1
Fanfold Paper
Views: 972
Message 33 of 180

For those wondering what this looks like, including what happens when the Fn key is pressed. The flickering resumes more or less immediately once you begin typing again.

jefferai
Punch Card
Views: 886
Message 34 of 180

I just started seeing this too.

jefferai
Punch Card
Views: 877
Message 35 of 180

Actually, I'll expand upon this: I have basically every single behavior described on this thread.

• My keyboard backlight does the flicking described. Shutdown/startup resolves. Seems to happen after resuming from sleep.
  • My screen (HDR) sometimes does terrible flickering as well. It's not often and a shutdown/startup resolves this. Seems to happen after resuming from sleep. (Edit: I have a suspicion it's related to Night Light as the flicking kind of seems like it's between NL on and off more than the backlight flickering on/off.)
  • The fingerprint sensor "drifts" -- when I first add a finger it works great, and over time it works less and less well, until it basically doesn't work at all, until I re-add my finger.
  • I get coil whine occasionally. The first time it happened I heard a loud sound, like a loud pop, and then super loud coil whine. The coil whine only happens when charging, and not every time it's charging. Given that the first time it happened there was the loud pop, and since then I've only heard coil whine but no loud pop, I have a suspicion that some capacitor or resistor that is supposed to tamp this down overloaded (hence the popping sound) but cannot prove this.
  • F7-F12 don't work. Every driver has been installed from their support page. I think it's some driver that they forgot to post. (Edit: I was right, they did forget to post the driver. See https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-Yoga-3rd-gen-CPU-frequency-pegged-at-max/m...)

Lenovo support is mostly useless. Hardware claims that problems are drivers and send you to software, software people say that they don't support drivers or BIOS if you haven't bought the extra professional services warranty. The only time anyone has been useful has been one of the other threads (https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-Yoga-3rd-gen-CPU-frequency-pegged-at-max/m...) when someone from Lenovo finally was able to reproduce and brought it to the attention of engineering.

dunnjh
What's DOS?
Views: 852
Message 36 of 180

Same issue as most people here. Received my X1 Yoga 3rd Gen today, immediately updated the BIOS because it seems like the correct thing to do. I didn't use the laptop before updating the BIOS, so I can't say if the flickering would have been there before. But I definitely now see flickering with any keyboard activity, that persists until I hold down a key, at which point the lights stop flickering. Seems like the BIOS update is the culprit. No beeping or screen backlight flickering, however. Thanks to those in this thread that brought it to engineering's attention. I'll do the same tomorrow.

TheScarfix
Core Memory
Views: 798
Message 37 of 180

Linked the thread to the Lenovo Twitter Support and they said they'll forward it to the appropiate team. https://twitter.com/LenovoSupport/status/983689718121582592

Got the same problem with the keyboard backlight flickering after waking up from Modern Standby. Sometimes the Touchpad and/or Keyboard don't work temporarily too.

Rageknecht
Fanfold Paper
Views: 664
Message 38 of 180

I just got my X1Y3 yesterday and updated the BIOS to version 1.11. Still the same problem with the keyboard light flickering... Lenovo please fix this. It's really annoying not to have a litt up keyboard when working in the dark. 

Also I experienced some problems with the touch screen not reacting at times... A restart resolves that temporarily.

Maetness
What's DOS?
Views: 642
Message 39 of 180

same problem, please fix

Horgh
Punch Card
Views: 595
Message 40 of 180

I have the same exact problem with the keyboard flicker on my X1 Yoga (20LD). It started with BIOS update 1.10, it has NOT been fixed with BIOS update 1.11. There have been no other software or hardware changes to the device. It happens every time I wake the laptop from sleep, I can temporarily stop it by hitting Fn + Spacebar, but it comes back randomly (within the same active cycle). Rebooting seems to fix it sometimes, but not always.

Since the BIOS update, I also have the occasional keyboard problem where the keyboard doesn't seem to work at all. It hasn't happened enough times for me to be able to reproduce it reliably, but it has happened. Closing the lid and re-opening fixes it usually, it seems.

There is also a pointer drift that I sometimes see and the touchpad doesn't work during those times. Neither does the nub point/stick. Again, have to close the lid and re-open it to get it re-enabled.

The fingerprint scanner sucks badly too. But that has sucked since the beginning. It doesn't recognize me half of the time.

I bought one of the first X1 Yogas, the 20LD at that. I don't know what I spent $2500 on, because it sure as hell wasn't reliable hardware. Very, very disappointed.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors