Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Pepsinio
Punch Card
Views: 482
Message 81 of 180

Re: Yoga x1 3rd gen keyboard backlight flickering

Thanks for the information Horgh. It is unfortunate to hear. It means it indeed can be a serious issue and not only driver related. Really not a fan of going through hardware repair at this moment, but let's see how it goes.

To be honest it is disappointing indeed that on day 1 this happens and furthermore i have the docking station coil whine issue as well. With such price range it is hard to accept such quality failures.

On the other hand I understand it just got released, mistakes happen and really hope Lenovo takes prompt action with solving those issues.
jefferai
Punch Card
Views: 452
Message 82 of 180

First post on this thread is March 10th. They are definitely not being prompt :-)

Pepsinio
Punch Card
Views: 432
Message 83 of 180

Good point as well Smiley Happy

Is there anyone using recent bios and NOT having this issue? If yes, can you please share the exact model you are having?
Mine is 20LES01W00
I have reverted to 1.07 and experiment whether the problem persists there as well.

Thanks!
joesixgig
802.11n
Views: 425
Message 84 of 180

@Pepsinio wrote:
Is there anyone using recent bios and NOT having this issue? If yes, can you please share the exact model you are having?
Mine is 20LES01W00

I've got a X1Y3 model 20LD0017US and I've been updating BIOS vesions as they've been appearing, currently on 1.11. I have auto keyboard backlight enabled in Vantage, and I haven't seen any flickering. 

jefferai
Punch Card
Views: 420
Message 85 of 180

There's no reason to think it had anything to do with a specific model. The keyboard is the same across all, as is the BIOS. FWIW I didn't have this problem immediately after updating to 1.11, it appeared a bit later, but once it appeared it's never gone away.

Pepsinio
Punch Card
Views: 392
Message 86 of 180

@jefferai, there might be a relation. You never know Smiley Happy

@joeixgig's version is the vPro 8650 version. Mine is the 8550 non-vPro.

It also did not appear immediately on my unit, but then if there is no 'pattern' whatsoever and in some units just works and others not regardless of the model, it goes more and more into the direction of faulty hardware and low quality checks.
chadwick17
Token Ring
Views: 390
Message 87 of 180

The model of my X1Y3 is 20LD001CUS. I've had auto brightness turned on for the keyboard since I got it a week ago and haven't seen any issues with flicking of the backlight.

ThinkPad X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, i7-8650U, Intel 620 UHD Integrated Graphics, 2560x1440 HDR WQHD Display, 16GB LPDDR3 1600 RAM, 1 TB SSD
YOGAbbagabbro
SCSI Port
Views: 357
Message 88 of 180

I've got the 20LD..US version 8650 16GB Vpro and I've not had the keyboard flickering issue. That's 3 20LD..US versions so far that don't have it, at least 2 w/the 8650, I think.

Thinkpad X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, Lenovo TB3 Graphics Dock, Samsung UH 750 QLED UHD 4K Monitor
dunnjh
What's DOS?
Views: 353
Message 89 of 180

I have the 20LD and experience flickering, though I upgraded to BIOS 1.11 right away and can't say if it would have been there on 1.10.

YOGAbbagabbro
SCSI Port
Views: 340
Message 90 of 180

I'm on 1.11 and haven't had this specific issue on current nor previous version.

Prior posters mention sleep/wake and fn. Could be lenovo's ambient light detection + keyboard dimming breaks upon sleep/wake? My prior laptop had several issues related sleep/wake and was a 2-1 device. The sum of my experience w/that one was that whatever functionality and req's related to 2-1 form factors seemed to create a lot of driver/etc issues compared to a trad. laptop form. Was (is) surprising considering most tablets and laptops are stable and what's being added from a user standpoint seems to be just a few that give the 2-1's any of their 'extra' utility. When i say it had several issues, I mean it had them and persistently over the first full two years of it's release, and only calmed down after about 2 yrs. I'm REALLY hoping this is not a repeat of THAT experience, considering a main reason I bout this one was that It was 3 iterations into it's particular model/series, not including all the non-thinkpad 2-1's lenovo produced until this one. I understand bugs and design changes and possibly different part sku's can create new problems, but at this point- at Gen 3 (min), those (and any and all, really) issue should be quite predictable. Of course maybe that's unreasonable, but it doesn't feel so.

Thinkpad X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, Lenovo TB3 Graphics Dock, Samsung UH 750 QLED UHD 4K Monitor

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors