Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
julescolle
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 7,242
Message 1 of 12

brand new x1 carbon touch blue screen after sleep

I just got my new carbon touch thinkpad today, and I couldn't be happier, until I closed the lid and reopened it a couple of minutes later. The screen froze for a while and then I got a BSOD with the notice CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED. I hoped it would be just some coincidence, and updating my drivers and installing windows updates would solve it. So I did, and closed the lid again. After reopening it, I got the same error. So I figured I could just as well restore to my factory settings. Without luck. After updating everything for a second time, still no luck. I check the disk and did a memory check, but everything seems fine. The lenovo Solution center isn't reporting any issues either.  I'm out of ideas. I looked into the minidump created by the blue screen, and it seemed the process failing is called csrss.exe. I've been trying to fix this issue all day now. Any suggestions?

julescolle
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 7,187
Message 2 of 12

Re: brand new x1 carbon touch blue screen after sleep

I have some more information. Last two times I woke the machine up from sleep I had different errors. First time still the blue screen, but now with the error message KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR. Here's an excerpt from the dump file

KERNEL_DATA_INPAGE_ERROR (7a)
The requested page of kernel data could not be read in.  Typically caused by
a bad block in the paging file or disk controller error. Also see
KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR.
If the error status is 0xC000000E, 0xC000009C, 0xC000009D or 0xC0000185,
it means the disk subsystem has experienced a failure.
If the error status is 0xC000009A, then it means the request failed because
a filesystem failed to make forward progress.
Arguments:
Arg1: fffff6fc400c6e10, lock type that was held (value 1,2,3, or PTE address)
Arg2: ffffffffc000000e, error status (normally i/o status code)
Arg3: 0000000109163be0, current process (virtual address for lock type 3, or PTE)
Arg4: fffff88018dc2000, virtual address that could not be in-paged (or PTE contents if arg1 is a PTE address)

Debugging Details:
------------------

ERROR_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0xc000000e - A device which does not exist was specified.

DISK_HARDWARE_ERROR: There was error with disk hardware

BUGCHECK_STR:  0x7a_c000000e

CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT:  1

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  WIN8_DRIVER_FAULT

PROCESS_NAME:  System

CURRENT_IRQL:  0

LAST_CONTROL_TRANSFER:  from fffff80248930376 to fffff80248875240

Seems like I have a bad drive? All the drive checks I have done so far report no errors though..

Then, when I started up my thinkpad this morning (after putting it in sleep last night) I got just a black screen saying
:

2100: Detection error on HDD0 (Main HDD)

Press Esc to continue. _

I also get this same error every time I wake the device from Hibernate.

Now it's working fine again, but it's really annoying I can't put the pc to sleep or hibernate without loosing all of my work.

julescolle
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 7,168
Message 3 of 12

So I spent another full day figuring this out, and I think I have finally come to a halt. Since I was pretty sure the problem resided in the hard drive, I tried to run chkdsk. Ran it on C: (which is the only assigned drive) and there were some problems fixed. But the wake from sleep problem remains.

I managed to run chkdsk on 2 other partitions (without a drive letter) with this method. No problems were found.

Then, I restarted my thinkpad in recovery mode and opened a Command line from there. Seems like there is a brand new drive, named X:/ availeble now. So I tried chkdsk on that one, and there were some problems reported. But, since the drive is in readonly mode, and I can't list it with DISKPART, I guess I'm out of options if I don't want to void the warranty.

screenshot:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B7ctQxD773uCcmNEYkhJQnB2TUk/edit?usp=sharing

What should I do now? I ordered the machine from ebay, and I had to pay a lot of taxes to customs for it, so I don't just want to send it back. Hope there are some lenovo offices in Belgium who can fix it under the base warranty..

julescolle
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 7,110
Message 4 of 12

So I called Lenovo monday 6th of May and they came to pick up my thinkpad. Friday I got a call it was probably the hard drive and they would replace it. They told me I would have my notebook back by monday or tuesday. Since friday the status is stuck to "Repair started". I sent a mail yesterday morning, but still no answer. So I called them today to ask what went wrong. But the lines were occupied for to long so I gave up. (It's now 8PM local time here, so I'm waiting for over 10 days now)

This is the first time I bought a lenovo because I heard so many good things about it. And I understand the repairs can take a while (even if it's just replacing the hard drive as they stated.) But I really hate not being able to  make contact to simply ask what's up? Seriously, how hard can it be to just send an email to let me know when the laptop will be sent back, so I can make sure I will be at home to accept it.

I know it's not gonna change anything posting this on this forum, but it might convince some people that Lenovo is not the awesome laptop company that everyone claims it to be. Really dissapointed.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 7,086
Message 5 of 12

@julescolle wrote:

So I called Lenovo monday 6th of May and they came to pick up my thinkpad. Friday I got a call it was probably the hard drive and they would replace it. They told me I would have my notebook back by monday or tuesday. Since friday the status is stuck to "Repair started". I sent a mail yesterday morning, but still no answer. So I called them today to ask what went wrong. But the lines were occupied for to long so I gave up. (It's now 8PM local time here, so I'm waiting for over 10 days now)

This is the first time I bought a lenovo because I heard so many good things about it. And I understand the repairs can take a while (even if it's just replacing the hard drive as they stated.) But I really hate not being able to  make contact to simply ask what's up? Seriously, how hard can it be to just send an email to let me know when the laptop will be sent back, so I can make sure I will be at home to accept it.

I know it's not gonna change anything posting this on this forum, but it might convince some people that Lenovo is not the awesome laptop company that everyone claims it to be. Really dissapointed.

Julescolle

Sorry about your issue.

Sent you a PM

Could you check?

Serene

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate Messaging
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
Please do not PM me - questions belong in the forums. I will not respond to PMs. Thanks.

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

julescolle
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 7,062
Message 6 of 12

Thanks for your intervention Serene! I just got a phone call from the local repair depot. Apparently they are still waiting for a windows installation disk which needs to come from France for some reason. They weren't sure when it would arrive, but they told me I would probably have my laptop back by tuesday or wednesday. He also promised to call me back tuesday with further details, so I can arrange for someone to be at home when it comes back.

I'm still not 100% happy about the service (and i really wonder why in this digital age, CD's need to be sent by conventional mail), but at least people are talking to me now, so I have an idea of what's going on.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 7,057
Message 7 of 12

Jules 

No worries - really sorry about the hassle, and am glad I could help!

Serene

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate Messaging
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.
Please do not PM me - questions belong in the forums. I will not respond to PMs. Thanks.

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

jamietre
What's DOS?
Views: 6,874
Message 8 of 12

Was this issue resolved for you?

I am having a similar problem: after resuming from sleep, my brand new X1 carbon touch BSOD's with a KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE error. I'm wondering if it was resolved to your satisfaction after the hardware replacement and I should pursue a similar remedy. I dread the idea of having to reinstall/configure everything but its a pretty frustrating problem.

julescolle
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 6,835
Message 9 of 12

jep, issue was resolved after sending it to repair depot. still not 100% happy with my purchase. sound is stuttering  from time to time, and the machine gets really hot after only 2 minutes in the sun. but all in all very descent machine. maybe just had my expectations up a bit too high.

jamietre
What's DOS?
Views: 5,880
Message 10 of 12

In case anyone's still trying to figure this out...

I ended up just removing "sleep" as a consequence of any action and set it to "hibernate" instead for power saving and lid shutting. Worked fine. Luckily the machine is fast enough it wasn't too big a deal.

Then, a recent BIOS update that was pushed via Lenovo System Update about a week ago (12/2013) appears to have fixed it for sleep. There was a mention in the release notes about addressing a problem that sounded like this so I tried switching sleep back on and haven't had a crash yet.

Annoying it took so very long to get this fixed, but glad it is at last...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors