Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
theek
Not applicable
Views: 1,543
Message 1 of 2

eGPU recommendations for X1 Yoga Gen2

Hey folks;

I'm considering the Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080 gaming  box :https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N1080IXEB-8GD#kf

Anyone have experience with one of these or similar?  I'm looking for a unit that both runs external graphics and powers the laptop to cut down on cords.

yfnew
Not applicable
Views: 1,522
Message 2 of 2

Re: eGPU recommendations for X1 Yoga Gen2

I have a Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080 Gaming Box. I use it on my X1 Yoga Gen 3. It's overall pretty good, and it's even a bit overkill for occasional gaming I would say. It charges the laptop just fine. 

That being said, it is not a perfect product. Here are some things that I don't like about it: 

1. It's TOO noisy. The case fans (which are very loud) are constantly running when the laptop is on. The fan inside power supply (which is not as loud as the case fans but loud enough to be noticeable) keeps running when the gaming box is connected to the laptop, even if the laptop is off. 

2. The included power cable is not very long. Although I have not measured it, it feels like the overall length of power cable + Thunderbolt 3 cable is less than the length of original ThinkPad USB-C charger's cable. Therefore it's sometimes challenging to connect it to the laptop while making sure the power cable is connected. However, from what I can tell, the power cable seems to be the standard cable used by most desktop power supplies, so it's easy to get a longer cable. 

3. Although it's small, it is still pretty heavy since Its case is made of metal. The good thing is that it came with a carrying bag, but carrying it with the laptop can still be a challenge. 

4. The RGB lighting is disturbing. This is, of course, just my opinion. I personally don't like RGB computer hardwares, and by default, the RGB lighting is enabled with changing colors. You need to install an additional program from Gigabyte to control the lighting or turn it off. 

Overall I like this eGPU. Since some of the games I play have terrible optimization, I need a powerful GPU to run them decently. If you can accept GPU with slightly less performance, then Sonnet Breakaway Puck (Radeon RX 570) and Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 Graphics Dock (GeForce GTX 1050) may be better choices as they are lighter and quieter, and they can both charge laptop (and they don't have RGB LEDs, but again, that's just my opinion). 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors