cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
webface
Paper Tape
Views: 198
Message 1 of 5

erase dead laptop's m.2 with win10 and add to new X1 Extreme as second drive???

I have an m.2 (1yr old) that I installed in a laptop that has died, the m.2 is still good and i would like to erase it and use it in the lenovo x1 extreme (I7-8750h 16gb ram gtx 1050ti 512gb storage) I just got as a secondary drive.

I can't remember if this m.2 had the operating system installed on it in the old laptop or if it was just used for storage.

The old m.2 i would like to install is samsung m.2 is samsung model 850 EVO SATA model: mz-n5e250.  

Will that work in a x1 extreme?

My concern is, if i install it in the secondary drive slot which is for m.2 on the new laptop, and boot the new laptop, will it try to run win10 from that old m.2 or will it boot normally from the x1 extreme's primary drive using it's win10 and allow me to reformat and erase it so i can use it as a second drive?

does the x1 extreme support SATA M.2 Drives, just NVMe drives?  

The old m.2 i would like to install is samsung m.2 is samsung model 850 EVO SATA model: mz-n5e250.  

Will that work in a x1 extreme?

thanks for any help

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 158
Message 2 of 5

Re: erase dead laptop's m.2 with win10 and add to new X1 Extreme as second drive???

I do not have an x1 Extreme to test with, but my understanding is that the slot is MVMe only.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 147
Message 3 of 5

Re: erase dead laptop's m.2 with win10 and add to new X1 Extreme as second drive???

Hi,

Just going by what I read in the base spec (wish I had one...) there are two m.2 slots that can support either SATA or PCIe/NVMe drives.

http://psref.lenovo.com/syspool/Sys/PDF/ThinkPad/ThinkPad%20X1%20Extreme/ThinkPad_X1_Extreme_Platfor...

Up to 2 drives (two M.2 SSD)
• M.2 SSD / SATA 6.0Gb/s (e.g. xxxGB SSD M.2)
• M.2 SSD / PCIe NVMe, PCIe 3.0 x 4, 32Gb/s (e.g. xxxGB SSD M.2 PCIe NVMe)

You should be able to select which drive to boot from either on-the-fly in the boot menu or by changing the boot order in BIOS.  Boot your primary drive and erase - or just format - the new one from there.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

webface
Paper Tape
Views: 141
Message 4 of 5

thanks for the detailed explanation

webface
Paper Tape
Views: 140
Message 5 of 5

hi Rich,

thanks for the reply.

was able to confirm that the m.2 slot is both NVMe and SATA

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors