Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tokapatsch
Paper Tape
Views: 516
Message 1 of 7

error 1802 on a x240

Hi

my x240 suddenly started to show error 1802 although i never touched the networkcard. dont understand it.

tried updating bios but didnt work, now i want to get the networkcard out, so i can atleast use it without internet connection.

My Problem is that the Users Manual recommends to deactivate the internal batterie bevor performing any actions on the notebook. But I cannot enter the BIOS to do so. when starting and pressing F1 or Enter to go to the BIOS. The Error 1802 occurs and all i can to is power off..

now what can I do? is it sufficient to open the base cover and immediately disconnect the battery connector without disabling it in the BIOS or do I risc damaging the notebook?

Thanks alot for any help

Highlighted
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 487
Message 2 of 7

Re: error 1802 on a x240

Welcome to the Community

Indeed, strange issue.
What is the symbols set at the end of the 1802 error string, two or four groups, four symbols each, via slash?
When has this error appeared? What did you do with laptop before the error appearing?

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Tokapatsch
Paper Tape
Views: 464
Message 3 of 7

the full error message reads:

1802: Unauthorized network card is plugged in - Power off and remove the network card (0BDB/100E)

the error appeared first about 6weeks ago, but at first i could always bypass it through opening the BIOS. From there it booted normally.

but since i made a bios update it doesnt work reliably anymore. When im lucky it still boots normally but most of the time the error occurs before i can even enter BIOS.

I cant remember doing anything specific before the error occured first. Maybe Windows made an update?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 455
Message 4 of 7

The IDs in the error string seems belong to Ericsson' modems generic flash port. The modem in your x240 should be Ericsson n5321 though another modem, for example, f5521 (its flash port) has the same IDs of such port.

Similar threads and explanation:
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-Carbon-1802-Unauthorized-Network-Card/m-p/...

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-X-Tablet-und-Helix-Serie/Ericsson-F5521gw-WWAN-Modul-nach-Firmware-Up...

I met this error and these IDs earlier.
Such port appearing during the laptop POST stage might mean the modem isn't initialized properly. This your observation might prove my opinion:

but at first i could always bypass it through opening the BIOS. From there it booted normally.

Another reason is something wrong with modem's firmware (fw), or the fw hasn't been flashed completely, properly and the modem awaits the fw will be flashed again.

What could cause this behavior? Fw update tool, most likely. Or the BIOS update without reset to the default settings. Or even OS update with modem's fw update.

What to do?
I'd try to reset the BIOS/EC by the power button holding. The AC charger and battery packs should be removed or disabled.
Next, load the BIOS defaults.
If the steps above don't help, try to remove the modem from the laptop for several minutes (again, remove the charger and battery packs before).

If nothing helps you'll need another laptop with m.2 slot for the wwan modem but without wireless devices white list control (or external USB adapter for m.2 wwan modem, it costs several bucks on ebay, ali, amazon) to try / force the modem's fw update.

Edit: the quote added, typos

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Tokapatsch
Paper Tape
Views: 449
Message 5 of 7

first of all thanks for your help.

identifiying the WWAN-CARD as the source is pretty nice, because i dont use wwan only wlan so i dont even need the card. am i right there?

so now i would like to remove it but another problem: right now im not able to get in the BIOS anymore, everytime i try i get the error in return. so i cannot disable the internal battery pack. can i open the notebook  nonetheless and remove the card? the users manual says i always have to diable the battery pack first. Is that necessary or just precaution?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 445
Message 6 of 7

> i dont use wwan only wlan so i dont even need the card. am i right there?

The wwan capabilities add more mobility if you're mobile user, work or rest with laptop "in the fields", need Internet access everywhere, anytime. Isn't it?

I read your fear regarding the internal battery pack removing instead of its disabling in the BIOS Setup. This way isn't good, I agree. There is a chance to damage the systemboard, unfortunately. But there isn't another way in your case - unplug the AC charger, remove external battery pack, disassemble the laptop, disconnect internal battery pack connector, remove the wwan modem. And hope for success.

You might keep the internal battery disconnected until the issue with modem will be resolved.

Tokapatsch
Paper Tape
Views: 441
Message 7 of 7

okay. i really dont get the whole thing. especially how an error can be so "unreliable".

after around 10 tries I finally got in the BIOS and turned of the internal battery. I opened the Thinkpad and removed the WWAN card. Now I can boot without any problems. Error doesnt appear anymore. THANK YOU!

I think I will just leave the WWAN Card out, because I really dont use it and think i wont in future. I dont need that kind of extra mobility especially because it also means extra cost for me. If I change my mind and the error persists I will be around again.

so lang many thanks for quick and helpful support.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors