cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ThinkPadBrah
Punch Card
Views: 155
Message 1 of 4

get the latest drivers from Lenovo's site or Lenovo Vantage system?

Should I be getting my drivers from Lenovo's site or Lenvo Vantange system? I always check Lenovo's site for new drivers because I never use Lenovo's vantage system but I have seen some people say that Lenovo Vantage system has newer drivers. Is that true?

SeniorGuru
Views: 127
Message 2 of 4

Re: get the latest drivers from Lenovo's site or Lenovo Vantage system?

My experience is that Vantage's driver updates are delayed from those on the Support site. IMO that's a good thing. Unless you're experiencing a problem that's explicitly addressed by an update, it's better to wait a month or so before installing it. Otherwise you risk installing something that has unexpected issues. Indeed I turn off the option in Vantage to automatically install critical updates. I'd rather remember to check monthly (after Microsoft's monthly patches get installed.)

As I see it if your system is working fine there's no benefit in installing updates ASAP, and a significant downside in doing so, unless it's to fix a specific issue.

This is particularly true of BIOS and firmware updates. The downside, which could render the system unusable or worse "brick" it, isn't worth the risk.

Paper Tape
Views: 110
Message 3 of 4

Vantage is better and simple to use Smiley Happy

Guru
Views: 107
Message 4 of 4

IF you want to quickly and easily find updates for your system use Lenovo Vantage.  It will not have the latest updates.  I 've discovered it trails roughly 2-4 weeks behind.  As others have mentioned thats not necessarily bad.  If there is a problem witht the update ususally it gets caught before hitting Vantage.  Myself even after its available I wait 1-2 weeks later unless the update addresses a specific problem I am running into.  

If you want the latest updates then go to the support site directly.

Just my personal opinion.

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an”Accepted Solution“!
 If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a "Kudo"!

I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. I will not respond to unsolicited private messages. Questions belong in the forum so it may   help other forum members as well.
 T490, TP 25 Retro, X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, W510 850 EVO, A30p
 Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors