Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
parsely
Not applicable
Views: 10,734
Message 1 of 9

hard drive replacement for X200

The hard drive (250 GB 5400 rpm)  for my Thinkpad X200 model 7454-CTO just died (FRU 45N7207) and want to buy a compatible replacement. Called one supplier and asked me if it is solid SATA. I am not sure how to find this information. Also. one of the model I am interesting is http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136279 . Will this drive be compatible?

Thanks in advance

richk
Not applicable
Views: 10,707
Message 2 of 9

Re: hard drive replacement for X200

You asked a simple question; I wish I could give a simple answer, but I must say "it depends".  That drive is one of the newer drives with "advanced formatting", so it depends on what operating system you are using and what you are using to recover/install from. 

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
ccl13
Not applicable
Views: 10,699
Message 3 of 9

Yes X200 uses SATA, and yes it generally compatible with any 2.5inch form factor (of course less than 9mm thick) SATA interface internal hard drives.
Your link provided is compatible. But be noticed just like @richk mentioned, you may need new OS for the drive to work properly.
parsely
Not applicable
Views: 10,674
Message 4 of 9

Thanks. Both of you are right. Just found out from a hard way that I do need a new OS. the hard drive I bought is an advanced format disk.

zintheev
Not applicable
Views: 10,280
Message 5 of 9

I'm getting almost frequent blue screens of death (every other day or so) - as a result I am thinking it's time to replace my x200's 160GB 7200rpm drive w/

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/817694-REG/Western_Digital_WD5000BPKT_Scorpio_Black_SATA_2_5.h...

(running XP pro, planning on backing up current drive and using external boot disk to load up the backup)

Will the drive work? Am I going about this all wrong?

ceb
Not applicable
Views: 10,276
Message 6 of 9

If I were replacing a hdd I'd really think about going to a SSD - significantly faster especially for boot times.

The speed increases aren't just theoretical either - it is a noticeable speed difference that can extend the lfe of a computer by years.

ceb
Not applicable
Views: 10,274
Message 7 of 9

@zintheev wrote:

I'm getting almost frequent blue screens of death (every other day or so) - as a result I am thinking it's time to replace my x200's 160GB 7200rpm drive w/

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/817694-REG/Western_Digital_WD5000BPKT_Scorpio_Black_SATA_2_5.h...

(running XP pro, planning on backing up current drive and using external boot disk to load up the backup)

Will the drive work? Am I going about this all wrong?

A new hard drive may not resolve your BSD problems as it could be a software issue. In addition, you may want to consider upgrading to Win 7 (or 8) to get another significant speed boost.

mdmoss
Not applicable
Views: 10,233
Message 8 of 9

I just bought a refurbished x200 tablet, and love it. However I'm looking for a little more hard drive space and wanted to upgrade. Will I have to reinstall windows 7 on the new hdd? It came with win 7 pro (64-bit), but I did not receive a product key for it.

mokumer
Not applicable
Views: 9,825
Message 9 of 9

Hi Everyone, 

Just had the chance to acquire a lenovo x200 from work and wanted to upgrade the harddrive to an ssd drive and was thinking of the following: 256GB Pro SSD MZ-7PD256BW (http://www.samsung.com/nl/consumer/pc-peripherals-printer/ssd-solid-state-drive/ssd-solid-state-driv...

Althought I am doubting as to whether this is possible because I believe people indicate that it needs to be 9mm, while this one is 6.8mm? Is this correct? If so, does the SSD drive I found work? If not can you please advise of a SSD drive that has approximately 250/256 GB that I should be looking into?

Would really appreciate your help. This is the first time I am looking for parts and would very much like to avoid this being a blunder!

Thank you very much in advance!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors