06-22-2019

US

8 Signins

119 Page Views

• Views: 119
  • Message 1 of 1

help me fix defect Enter key - brand new X1C6 CTO

2019-07-16, 19:59 PM

First of all let me say it is very disappointing that a defect as obvious as this does not get checked before a thinkpad is leaving the factory, especially since the X1 Carbon is one of the flagship models.

Key(board) model: Dual row Enter key (UK layout) from Chicony 01YR564

Problem: The Enter key behaves similar to a two-stage photo camera shutter button where the key faces some resistance when pressed half way down. Except that this is not a smooth operation like in cameras. I believe the resistance stems from the hinge grinding against the mounts, which you can clearly feel - and hear! - when forcing the key all the way down.

I am travelling so sending the laptop in is out of question. I do have wordwide warranty, but I assume that does not include on-site servicing of individual keys!?

I did find some information about inserting keys, but nothing really on how to unhinge them in first place. Since this is a 2-row key I assume it even has a unique hinge.

In the worst case scenario of breaking the hinge, will you still be able to trigger the key with the finger tip?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete