Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
meinereinerhier
Paper Tape
Views: 363
Message 1 of 8

howto erase a password encrypted disk

Hi.

Some months before I use a private SSD temporary inside a Thinkpad with BIOS password. Today I want to use this drive as external disk inside a USB enclosure. But this drive is not writeable... I guess it depends on the BIOS password.

Howto get this drive back working?

It is nice that the BIOS password is a secure way to protect the disk, but I don't want to steal data, I want to use my device and delete all content of the disk!

Thanks for support!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 353
Message 2 of 8

Re: howto erase a password encrypted disk

Hello

Use this tool
https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/olddownloads/ds019026

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

meinereinerhier
Paper Tape
Views: 345
Message 3 of 8

@x220forme: thanks for the link, but this tool I check before and I do not have access to a supported TP. I've only access to x61, x201 (with this serie I use/format the SSD) or similar but all not supported.

it could be not that this make my disk unuseable, or?

if i'm right there must be a high sophisticated trick, to wipe/erase the disk with something like e.g. hdparm from linux. and I hope this is not only known by some technicans who do not talk about.

meinereinerhier
Paper Tape
Views: 338
Message 4 of 8

... and one more question: I found some solutions who needs to connect the drive to the internal SATA port, they do not work via USB. if I do so, always the disk password is annoying and i'm not able to boot from CD/USB. is there a way to bypass the input of the disk password at boot time?

thanks for support.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 328
Message 5 of 8

I didn't perform such actions so I can't provide clear answers, sorry.

I'd assume it should be possible to erase the drive's data and password on the laptop which the tool supports with drive connected via USB port. Because of there is a lot of this tool usage cases, one of them is to repair the drive in case the owner's laptop is unbootable, damaged etc.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 325
Message 6 of 8

If it is an ATA password set on an internal drive (main bay or ultrabay) via the BIOS, you cannot clear it via USB.  A password set in the BIOS is hashed before passing it onto the drive.  When you turn on a machine the BIOS will prompt for a password and hash your response before passing the result fia the challange command.  If you attach via USB, there is no way to get the hashing done.  You need to mount the drive in another machine's internal bay, and the machine must be "similar" in age.  I believe all X series are OK if both are x220 or later.  X61 and earlier are different.  Sorry, but I don't remember about X200 and x201, but I am guessing they are in the group with the newer ones.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
meinereinerhier
Paper Tape
Views: 322
Message 7 of 8

... but when I connect the drive to the internal bay, the machine want always first the HDD password. in this case I'm not able to do any else... or do you know a way to bypass this?

and boot-order is independent, the only I can do is to switch between user/admin mode by pressing F1.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 303
Message 8 of 8

If you don't know the HDD ATA password, you can NEVER clear it, and you can never use it, no matter how you hook it up.  I thought you were saying you knew the HDD password but not supervisor password.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors