Did you mean: 
Highlighted
BARRAQUILLO
Fanfold Paper
Views: 639
Message 1 of 7

invalid machine type

hi,

i am thinking about buying a 3rd gen x1 carbon from a dealer on ebay. they give the machine as 20BTS03Y06.The image of the bios screen shows this but clearly there is no such model. They are selling it without the ssd or O/S which i thought was no problem just put in an ssd load a O/S and that's it, but is it more complicated or is there potentially something else wrong. thanks for any help given.

tim

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 636
Message 2 of 7

Re: invalid machine type

Hello and welcome,

FWIW, SUPPORT (above) enter that MT-M:

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/products/Laptops-and-netbooks/ThinkPad-X-Series-laptops/ThinkPad-X1-...

Machine type model
20BTS03Y06
Machine info
Intel Core i7-5600U Processor (2.60GHz), 8.0GB RAM, 1x240GB SATA III, Windows 8.1 Pro 64, 14.0in 2560x1440, Intel HD Graphics, 720p HD Camera, TrackPoint with TouchPad, Ethernet, Intel Wireless 7265AC(2x2)+BT4.0 M.2 Combo, Sierra EM7345(LTE/HSPA+), Bluetooth 4.0, 6 Cell Li-Polymer
Operating System
Windows 7 (64-bit)

It seems to be a legit MT-M.  It shows both Win 8.1 and 7 so it may have shipped with 7 via downgrade rights.

Should be as simple as installing an SSD and the OS.  For reference, here are the base spec and HMM:

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

BARRAQUILLO
Fanfold Paper
Views: 613
Message 3 of 7

hi Z,

thank you very much for your quick response and advice.just hope for a good price now!

tim

JakeSully
Broadband 3G
Views: 563
Message 4 of 7

just so you know this laptop requires a m.2 format ssd so make sure you arent buying a 2.5 inch ssd since those will not fit at all.

BARRAQUILLO
Fanfold Paper
Views: 547
Message 5 of 7

hi Jake,

i was just looking at compatible ssd's. i realised that it used an m.2 type but it appears that it will only work with certain m.2's. they have to be AHCI and not NVMe. i am trying to find an ssd compatability list. any suggestion of a upper middle class ssd would be appreciated.

tim

JakeSully
Broadband 3G
Views: 543
Message 6 of 7

your laptop should work with any m.2 SATA ssd if it has PCIe support then it will also work with any M.2 PCIe ssd as well.

BARRAQUILLO
Fanfold Paper
Views: 540
Message 7 of 7

thanks for that info. Jake

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors