Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Khalid_s
Paper Tape
Views: 244
Message 1 of 7

is my thinkpad x1 carbon brand new?

Hello

I bought a 6th generation thinkpad X1 carbon last sunday from a local computer shop and I would like to know whether its brand new or if it has been used before. I checked the warranty status on the website and it says You have 1143 Days remaining on your warranty, Start Date: 2018-12-29 and an expiration date on 2022-03-28  . Which I found strange because it also says that the product has a three year limited warranty, and 1143 is more than 3 years, so is that normal? plus it says  Origin: Factory Warranty.

Any thoughts about this or on how to check if a laptop was used before will be much appreciated,

Thanks

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 229
Message 2 of 7

Re: is my thinkpad x1 carbon brand new?

Good day and welcome to the community.

Issues similar to this pop up in the forum, occasionally.

Initially, the warranty start date is set to near the manufacturing date, and a machine will then sit in a retailer or distributer's stock for a bit. If you contact Support in your region and explain the situation, they should be able to adjust the warranty start date (and end date) to match the purchase date. If I understand the process correctly, you'll need to provide them documentation of the purchase (receipt, etc).

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

Highlighted
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 191
Message 3 of 7

The warranty period update request according to the laptop purchase date could be done online
https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/warrantysupport

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Khalid_s
Paper Tape
Views: 185
Message 4 of 7

Thank you very much for the replies.

but my question was is it normal for the warranty to exceed 3 years just as in my case? where it says 1143 days remaining on your warranty.

secondly is there a way to know what is the manufacturing date of the laptop? or any other way to determine whether i’m the first user or not?

Thank you

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 154
Message 5 of 7

@Khalid_s wrote:

but my question was is it normal for the warranty to exceed 3 years just as in my case? where it says 1143 days remaining on your warranty.

secondly is there a way to know what is the manufacturing date of the laptop? or any other way to determine whether i’m the first user or not?

Thank you

Paste your serial number into: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/warrantylookup and see what info it returns. Maybe you got a surplus, special bid machine with an enhanced warranty.

Regarding manufacture date, look on the black and white sticker on the underside. There should be some indication in the format of: yy/mm. If you want help interpreting, snap a pic and send it, via private message only, to either @x220forme or me and we can try to help decipher.

Regards.

Community GuidelinesSearchPrivate MessagingENDEESPTRUUACZ-SKTRMoto
PM requests for individual support are not answered. If a post solves your issue, please mark it so.

I am not a Lenovo employee.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 149
Message 6 of 7

@Khalid_s wrote:

Thank you

One more possibility - just to confuse things.  As stated above, warranties default to start on the date of manufacture, but IIRC machines built for retail stock include a "fudge factor" in their warranty periods.  That is, a machine with a stated 3-year warranty from the factory may well have a longer warranty period to try to allow for time spent in retail inventory.

I don't know what the formula is - and the numbers you quote seem a bit long -  but it's possible that what you see is normal.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

TheSteve
Punch Card
Views: 110
Message 7 of 7

Just wanted to say thank you for your link. I bought a new old stock Yoga X1 second gen OLED last year and submitted my invoice yesterday. Just got a reply back and now have the full 3 year warranty from my purchase date(extra 8 months!)

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors