Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
alessing
Blue Screen Again
Views: 7,994
Message 1 of 15

lenovo thainkpad x230 - 5 beeps, pause, then 5 beeps - but blank screen

Just this morning my just out of warranty thinkpad x230 does not want to boot.  I get 5 beeps, a pause, then 5 more beeps and my screen is blank.  The power button shows as on, but cant do anything else.

thanks

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 7,912
Message 2 of 15

Re: lenovo thainkpad x230 - 5 beeps, pause, then 5 beeps - but blank screen

Is patched BIOS flashed on your laptop?

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

alessing
Blue Screen Again
Views: 7,911
Message 3 of 15

If it is, I didn't do it. Could windows updates cause this? Anyway I can check?
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 7,904
Message 4 of 15

If your laptop is new or you didn't flash patched BIOS it's impossible anything did it itself. It's only "hand made" operation.

When did this beeps issue begin?
What wireless card are installed into your laptop?

OK
If you don't use bitlocker or any other encryption application disable TPM (Security Chip) in BIOS Setup menu. Beeps should desappear.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

alessing
Blue Screen Again
Views: 7,889
Message 5 of 15

Issue began over weekend. No new installations. To get into buos do I press delete or F2? I don't see anything at all at boot.

Thanks
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 7,885
Message 6 of 15

Your answer sounds not good. The reason of issue can be more serious.

BIOS access method depends of the OS installed. If it's win7 while laptop boots up press F1 repeatedly when the screen with ThinkPad logo appears.

UPD

look at this thread:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/X-Series-ThinkPad-Laptops/Beeps-at-power-up-5-beeps-pause-5-beeps/m-p/74...

alessing
Blue Screen Again
Views: 7,875
Message 7 of 15

Well, this sounds like no fun. Should I replace the board or get a new computer? And is it easy to replace the board? How does one do it?
kristy34C
Paper Tape
Views: 7,859
Message 8 of 15

it's going to cost you about $600 to repair if you send it into Lenovo.. outside of warranty.

The Catch-22 is if your looking at a Replacement the X240 is more limited then the X220  1 ram slot... 8gb max. you could go for an T440s or T440P which would give you a choice up to a full I7-4700MQ (6MB Cache) + dedicated video if you wanted.. at around 4.1 Lb  but Thinkpad really screwed up the touchpad & other issues.. you want to read the reviews on the new models

so it might be time to look at other Options Like the Toshiba R30 etc

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 7,848
Message 9 of 15

alessing,

New Lenovo x230 motherboard costs $150..250 on ebay, replacement is customer friendly, you can do it yourself.

Before you'll do that check out does your laptop boot up after beeps series if you connect external monitor?

Did you disable Security chip in BIOS?

Also, try to reset BIOS/EC (I gave this advice several times here):
unplug AC adapter cable, remove the battery, press and hold during 20...30 seconds the power button, plug in AC adapter cable, connect the battery, try to boot up.

alessing
Blue Screen Again
Views: 7,836
Message 10 of 15

I will have to check this tonight.

How often do Lenovo motherboards fail like this?  I really liked my x230 - do not like the x240.. but before considering another Lenovo I want to know if this is a comong thing.  At thins point even a cheap Asus seems better as I can buy on for a quarter of the cost and replace it frequently too.

thanks

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors