Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
YokoJr
Paper Tape
Views: 143
Message 1 of 4

lenovo thinkpad x1 carbon gen 3 ssd replacement

I am looking at upgrading the SSD in my lenovo because 216 GB is not enough. I saw a great deal on amazon and made a purchase, but I do not believe this SSD is compatiable because it is pice 3.0 x4. I updated my bios to the newest release as of March 2019. I have linked the intel SSD below. I am now try to figure out what is compatable with my laptop. I would like to stay $130 or below for the drive and between 500GB-1TB, preferablily 1TB. Any help is greatly appreciated!

https://www.amazon.com/Intel-660p-1-0TB-80mm-978350/dp/B07GCL6BR4/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=intel+m.2+ssd&...

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 94
Message 2 of 4

Re: lenovo thinkpad x1 carbon gen 3 ssd replacement

Hi YokoJr! 

Welcome to the Lenovo forum discussion! 

We don't see any problem in upgrading the SSD to a much bigger capacity. However, we're unable to provide an exact brand name for the SSD on your ThinkPad X1 Carbon Gen 3. You can look for a M.2 SSD for the laptop and you can check it from the hardware maintenance manual https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/x1_carbon3_hmm_en_sp40g55065_01.pdf?CID=ww:lenovosoci... (page 60) on how to replace it. 

Regards,

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 91
Message 3 of 4

X1 Carbon Gen3 doesn't support NVMe protocol for PCIe SSD, while PCIe AHCI does. Also, it supports m.2 SATA SSD in the same slot.
So, Intel 660p and similar PCI NVMe SSDs will not work in this laptop.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

YokoJr
Paper Tape
Views: 80
Message 4 of 4

Would this one work? It seems like it would because it is m.2 2280 and sata.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073SB2MXT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors