Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

09-25-2020

Belgium

4 Signins

25 Page Views

• Views: 25
  • Message 1 of 5

maxed out X1 Extreme gen 3: fan issues

2020-09-25, 7:04 AM

I have the x1 extreme gen 3 with the i9, 64g of ram and the 4K UHD screen, all windows, lenovo vantage en gforce drivers up to date.

When I first started using the computer I noticed the fans went from completely silent to blowing hard (including high pitch sound) rather quickly on a normal workflow (phpstorm, slack, chrome, ...).  Also playing civ 6 made it really loud (which I understand a bit better).

Since the 1.06 BIOS update, things seem to be a bit better, the fans don't blow that hard anymore, but they seem to be on constantly now (silent, but noticable).  Except when unplugged, then the fans are dead silent, even playing civ 6 (whisper mode enabled in geforce experience).

So, I understand blowing fans when gaming (even if it's just civ 6, which I presume isn't that intensive), but when in normal working mode, I prefer them to be silent.  Is there any setting I overlooked that I can set so the fans keep silent most of the time when in working mode ?

Options

67 Posts

03-29-2017

Norway

147 Signins

645 Page Views

• Views: 645
  • Message 2 of 5

Re:maxed out X1 Extreme gen 3: fan issues

2020-09-25, 7:15 AM

Have you looked at your Lenove Vantage - Power Smart settings - Intelligent cooling?

It is all relatively well explained there. You can select the mode you want to be in through the battery icon in windows. If you are in "Ultra performance mode", no wonder that you get quite a feedback from your fan. Keep it in performance mode (unless something requires you to be temporarily in Ultra performance mode) and you should be fine. 

Pay attention to this thread as well ;) https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/Power-Mode-Intelligent-Cooling-Lenovo-Vantage-toolbar-stuck-on-Performance-Mode/m-p/5040164

I have a different config (i7) but I so far find the noise level in general quite ok. As you say - on battery it is really silent. On external power I do get the fan turning occasionally (especially if laptop on my lap), but on the lowest setting which is barely noticeable. If you load the cpu, of course you start hearing the cooling. But all in one - so far I would not describe it as a noisy laptop. Especially considering the config. 

Options

5 Posts

09-25-2020

Belgium

4 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

2020-09-25, 7:51 AM

Tnx for the reply, the slider behind the windows battery icon is completely on the left (which says best battery life, although plugged in).

Options

5 Posts

09-25-2020

Belgium

4 Signins

25 Page Views

• Message 4 of 5

2020-09-25, 8:00 AM
I read through the linked issue and indeed, when I check the lenovo battery icon, it says "intelligent cooling: performance mode", while I see from the screenshots that there is a "quiet mode" as well. I'll keep an eye on those threads, tnx.
Options

67 Posts

03-29-2017

Norway

147 Signins

645 Page Views

• Views: 645
  • Message 5 of 5

2020-09-25, 8:05 AM

That is odd.

I can check later just to be sure, but even in "Performance mode" (center on the slider) mine is pretty silent when used as a business pc (active browsing, several windows and tabs open, email client, copying files... etc.). Again - I've noticed it gets a bit warmer and noisier when used on the lap (as one effectively covers the inlets on the bottom). But when used on a desk...... it is quite silent. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms