Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xyxer
Paper Tape
Views: 1,815
Message 1 of 7

new lenovo x220 high idle power usage

Hi Everyone,

trying to troubleshoot the power consumption on my new Lenovo notebook. Basically on idle (processor set between 0 to 100 in control panel power) it tends to use between 11,000 to 12,000 mW with screen brightness set to 12. Wifi On.

By comparison with same settings my other notebook asus u36sd uses only 7,700mW on same settings. Exactly same setup / profile. So in effect I get only 7.5 hours out of 9cell battery (93000mW) vs 9 hours from Asus u36SD (77,000mW battery) what am I doing wrong ? Same power settings on both:

Power settings:

high performance

hard disk off in 1 min

wifi- max power saving

usb suspend- enable

intel graphics: max battery saving

pci express- max power saving

processor  0/passive/100

Specs:

x220 with IPS screen

core i5 2540, 8GBs of Ram

crucial m4 256gb ssd

asus u36sd

core i5 2410m

intel 320 160gb ssd

alex65
Punch Card
Views: 1,790
Message 2 of 7

Re: new lenovo x220 high idle power usage

Similar specs too, but I have an HDD.

My power usage is similar. Idling with backlight at 12 it's using 11-12watts.

With backlight at 2 it's 8-9.

Sometimes it goes to 6-7, but it's pretty steady at 7.5-8 when nothing is running and I let it idle a couple of minutes.

I can't have more than 4.5-5 hours of battery life with my 6 cell doing light-medium web browsing with firefox.

xyxer
Paper Tape
Views: 1,777
Message 3 of 7

Hmm just kinda expected better. Lenovo claims 13.8 hours from their 9 cell (93000) so I thought I should at least get 9.

U36SD with its 8 (77000) cell is rated for 10 hours and I am easily able to get 8 hours with wifi and full screen brightness, so I thought there must be some setting.

alex65
Punch Card
Views: 1,773
Message 4 of 7

Well, that is only my own experience, do not take it for a fact.

Others are reporting 6 hours on average fot the 6 cell, certain people claim even 9 hours with the 6 cell while browsing (But I doubt it's possible, unless they let it sit idle). 10-11 hours is commonly reported for the 9 cell

I don't know what we're doing wrong, I too expected better.

motomandk
Punch Card
Views: 1,762
Message 5 of 7

For normal office and meeting use - normally brigthness around 8, i get about 10-11 hours on my 9 cell battery.  The settings are (sorry it is in danish, but i guess that the position of the figures is the same in other languages):

/Henrik - Denmark
X220 - i7-2620, 8GB, 128GB Samsung 830 SSD (I just LOVE my X220!) - and still after 6 years of service, running Win10 like a charm!
joncordova
802.11n
Views: 1,726
Message 6 of 7

motomandk, do you have the IPS screen?

I have similar battery life results, a little under an hour per cell while using Firefox. My sneaking suspicion is that it's the second RAM module and the extra backlight brightness required by the IPS screen (to overwhelm a polarization layer or something like that). The i7 shouldn't make that much of a difference, because it underclocks itself anywa. (Right?)

I have been able to get my idle power draw down to 7 or 8 Watts on occasion, but that's with brightness at 0 and wifi and bluetooth off, and resisting the urge to move the mouse. I have been unable to replicate the battery life results from CNET and Engadget, who reported 7 hours of video on the 6-cell.

My hints: disable Flash in Firefox using the taskbar button--no-brainer, and you'll be able to activate individual Flash elements when you want to watch a video. Close Firefox when you're not using it; it taxes the processor just by sitting there, and that clobbers battery life; same goes for Chrome or almost every program. (Kind of a basic tip.) Turn off any Windows Gadgets and the Task Manager, and only use Lenovo Power Manager to monitor the power draw. You'll save one or two Watts, and that can mean the difference of an hour. I suppose that means if you exit Power Manager as well and don't monitor at all, you'll have a little more battery life. And the most annoying thing: unplug any USB devices. Even the SD card draws some power. Originally I'd left my ExpressCard54 USB3.0 adapter in the slot the whole time, and it drew enough power to make the palm rest constantly warm. I gained an hour right there by taking it out and leaving it in the laptop bag, for when I actually need it.

motomandk
Punch Card
Views: 1,718
Message 7 of 7

I dont have IPS screen.

/Henrik - Denmark
X220 - i7-2620, 8GB, 128GB Samsung 830 SSD (I just LOVE my X220!) - and still after 6 years of service, running Win10 like a charm!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors