Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nick999
What's DOS?
Views: 28,596
Message 11 of 25

Re: "Error 2100 - Hard drive initialization error"

I have seen this issue yesterday on my T61 with Fujitsu MHY2080BH 80GB SATA HDD. I heard some "click-click" sound from hard drive. After re-boot t61 I found 

" ERROR

2100: HDD0 (Hard disk drive) initialization error(2)" on the screen.

Here is what I have done so far.

1) swaped with a new hard drive and install OS. works fine with new hard drive (no error). That confirmed me the issue was only related to hard drive

2) called Lenovo tech support, followed their instruction to change BIOS SATA setting from AHCI to compatibility mode. no help

3) Lenovo asked me to try two softwares: migr-67520 and migr-63685 (google them to find the links). the first one is sytem software PC doctor running at Windows. Of course, I cannot get that point since my t61 failed to detect my hard drive at BIOS level. The second one is firmare update for hard drive. I downloaded the bootable file and burned CD-ROM to boot my t61. t61 can boot up with this CD-ROM but since t61 BIOS cannot detect hard drive so this firmware update software cannot see detect hard drive. So no help either.

4) call Lenovo tech support again and they agreed to ship a new hard drive (still under warranty)

I am more concerned about the data inside the hard drive. Please share any thought if you got any solution to recover the data inside hard drive. I am thinking about to swap the control board on hard drive.

Message Edited by nick999 on 05-02-2009 10:43 AM
bolster
Paper Tape
Views: 28,377
Message 12 of 25

Got this error on Friday (22nd May) with my X61 tablet with a Hitachi HTS543216LSA00 drive and thought i was sunk. Luckily i came across this board and used a colleagues external cd drive to try to apply the firmware patch, which seemed to do the trick so i thought i was high and dry, (By glorious self advertising, i give evidence  http://www.andrewbolster.info/blog/?p=130 )

Roll on tonight, and i close everything up and curl up with a good book, but cant sleep, so get up and power on my tablet to do a bit of work.. and of course its back. ERROR 2100!.

I can understand have the firmware upgrade can fix an issue like this, but i cant understand how it can be broken again after 2 days. Those two day's I've treated it with kid gloves out of fear; its sat at either my desk here or in my office in work, level, not being switched from laptop to tablet mode, not beingjiggled while powered on, nothing.

Does anyone actually have a story where this error ends well (i.e without having to hand over a hard drive with sensative commercial information on it to lenovo for "processing") ?

Regards

bolster
Paper Tape
Views: 28,032
Message 13 of 25

Ok, Im starting to notice a pattern with regards this error, and have been living with it for a week, but its obviously indicative of something "not good".

I dont know about anyone else but I only get the errors when the harddrive is starting from "Cold", as in first thing in the morning, it will be dead and the 2100 error completly impassable, even tho i can hear the drive having spun up, but no click of the RW armature, then after leaving it going for a few minutes, its fine, as if nothing happened.

Anyone else got any thoughts?

bolster
Paper Tape
Views: 27,424
Message 14 of 25

No Soft Solution, No hope if you didnt back up, but my brilliant support experience is here, Thanks Lenovo!
tony57
Paper Tape
Views: 23,996
Message 15 of 25

It seems I was lucky that my R61i is not that worse.

It stops at the ThinkPad logo for half a minute and then comes to the words "Error 2100 ....",but everything goes well when rebooted.

So every time I use my computer, I need to start it twice.

The customer service told me to set the BIOS to default, which was proved to has no effect on the problem.

I thought there was something wrong with the button cell on the mainboard, which could explain why the laptop works well except the first booting.

But I konw nothing about dismantling the laptop.. (*_*)``

bolster
Paper Tape
Views: 23,979
Message 16 of 25

Every experience I've heard of Error 2100 is that it pops up either completly randomly, crippling your HDD with no hope of recovery, or you get about a dozen 'freebies' before it finally grinds to a halt.

The Hard Drive is classes as a user serviceable part, so definatly unscrew the bottom / side of the laptop with the logo for the HDD (On mine its a screw point on the bottom with a cylinder inside a box) and write down the make, model, part number and serial number of the hard drive and get on the phone to lenovo support. 

I advise that within 20 minutes of reading this reply that you have everything important backed up off the laptop. Good Luck

kashmirch
Paper Tape
Views: 23,422
Message 17 of 25

Hi everybody,

I have the same fault "Error 2100" with my Thinkpad X61s, cannot starting windows and access to HDD, and the blue ThinkVantage's invalid, certainly.

But after few days doing nothing to repair it, in this morning when I tried to boot it again, my X61s suddenly ran Thinkpad Recovery and Rescue automatically. I restored my system successful and my X61s gets back to normal. Maybe I'm a lucky guy huh ?

Until now I cannot understand what was happening with my enigmatic X61s? Is the problem from HDD or some boards fault? Something loose or flickering ? Should I worry about it? 

Anyone clear it to me pls!!! Tks in advance!

tivoboy
Punch Card
Views: 21,970
Message 18 of 25

So, I just had this happen today. Haven't used this system in a little while. Don't know what happened between the last few days and today.

Error 2100. I have tried changing the BIOS for SATA to compatibility. No go. Doesn't boot

I'd LIKE to try and apply the firmware update, but don't have an external or Docked CD player for this unit. Is there any other way to apply the firmware? Can I apply it using an external connector for the drive? What about putting it into an x61 Tablet for which I HAVE a dock? Would that possibly work?

Any work arounds would be GREATLY appreciated
thanks
Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 21,949
Message 19 of 25

Hi tivoboy!

One workaround is to make a bootable DOS USB memory stick and copy the firmware upgrader to it by downloading the firmware .iso version and copying it over. Boot from the drive and run the upgrader manually.

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
tivoboy
Punch Card
Views: 21,936
Message 20 of 25

thanks,

well, I put the hard drive in my x61 tablet, put THAT in the dock I have for the tablet.  Ran the CD with the ISO and it showed, NO DEVICE FOUND and I don't think any update was applied.

any other thoughts, ideas?

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors