Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Welcome to the Lenovo Community

Welcome to the Forums!

Welcome to Lenovo's Peer-to-Peer Discussion Community!
Please note our guidelines. How to register and login and Community FAQs.
Shape the Future of PCs

Help Lenovo Shape the Future of PCs

Take the ownership survey. Share your ideas with our product team
Community Spotlight

Visit the Lenovo Blogs!

Check out the ThinkPad Time Machine
Visit the Community Spotlight Blog
Windows  10

Are you ready for Windows 10?

Get to know Windows 10
Visit the Windows 10 Support Center
Paper Tape
0 Kudos

Re: "Error 2100 - Hard drive initialization error"

[ Edited ]

I currently have two of these incidents ready to deal with. In one instance the error previously appeared and then disapeared automatically and the other instance the error is accompanied by a noise so I am thinking the disk is damaged.

When I get hold of both machines i will report the hard drisk information here hopefully not two seagate disk drives.

I will be attempting to recover these disks also for data backup as there is financial data at risk here.

Hope to update you all soon.

Updated. The first of the disk drives is a wetern digital drive. WDC WD800BEVS-08RST2

I will be implimenting a replacment pc for this user and then test the fixes on this machine.

This is the pc which is cureently booting ok however the system is slow responding.

Update. Called lenovo about this issue (x61 btw) Call agent suggested replacing disk drive and running diagnostic or reseating hard disk. I expected and admission that there was a known firmware fault but apparently there isnt.  

Paper Tape
0 Kudos

This happened to me on my Thinkpad X301 while I was trying to format my Crucial RealSSD C300 1.8" 128GB SSD... (was reinstalling Windows 7). I shut off the machine, removed the battery, re-seated the SSD and voila, the machine detected it again. try that! Who knows, maybe you'll luck out.

What's DOS?
0 Kudos

I spoke with Andrea at Lenovo and she said that error is occuring because the Hard Drive is burnt out. My friends son laptop had the same issue. Pretty much goes into boot loop because the OS cannot be found due to the HDD being faulty.

Hope this helps.

What's DOS?
0 Kudos

I am using lenove X200 Tablet with Crucial m4 SSD 256GB, last day i have "2100 error". I tried to change hdd back to 320GB seagte HDD, but still have this error code?

What can I do???

buzio wrote:
Hi have a problem with my x61s.

Two days ago the computer started doing weird things under vista. I had to make a hard reboot. Since, vista never boot up. The hard drive is not even seen by the bios. And I have a "Error 2100 - Hard drive initialization error".

I went on google to find a solution and I found this :,guid,32b17bc1-db16-4f37-a4c4-f40e53d37342.aspx

But (there is a but) the solution I found only works for Hitachi/Fujistu/Toshiba, and my hard drive is a Seagate...

The problem seems common. I'm a bit disapointed, as I used the laptop for a week... I did no backup, and I'm afraid I've lost a whole week of work...

If any one has an idea ...