cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
veechee
HDMI
Views: 9,990
Message 1 of 9

"No Internet access" yellow icon on ThinkPad X230 after updating Intel PROSet wireless drivers

I have a ThinkPad X230 that began to display the yellow exclamation point icon for "No internet access" after I did a batch of updates.  It has an Intel Advanced-N 6205 wireless card and is updated to the newest BIOS.  I tried everything I could find on Google to try and fix the issue, and found no issues in these forums to users having an issue.  So after fighting with it for a day, I decided to wipe the system and reinstall Windows.

I loaded Windows 7 Enterprise X64 with SP1 and did not domain join the laptop, so it is totally untouched Windows.  and then installed the Intel wired networking drivers version 11.15.16.0, which were downloaded from Lenovo.  I then installed the Intel wireless network drivers version 15.03.1000.1637 which were also downloaded from Lenovo.  Everything is working fine at this point.  I then loaded TVSU 5.02.0011 to get all the other Lenovo software.  One of the updates offered was Intel wireless 15.6.1, so being careful, I selected only that update and installed it.  After a restart, the yellow icon is there, even though I haven't yet connected to any wireless network - it is in place for the wired connection too.  Uninstalling the 15.6.1 drivers would not make it go away.  Installing 15.03.1000.1637 again also doesn't make it go away.

A System Restore to revert to before the installation occurs does make the icon go away.

I did some more searching on Google and the Intel Community forums have a report of this same issue from a user on a Dell machine: http://communities.intel.com/thread/38498.  There is no solution posted as of yet.  I have posted my problem there now too.

Has anyone experienced this issue and is there any fix besides System Restore or a reformat if the new drivers get installed?  I expect the drivers made available via TVSU to be rock solid, this is why I follow what TVSU even if there are newer drivers from the manufacturer sometimes.

Myself I use a T420s with an Ultimate-N 6300 wirelss card, and the newest Intel drivers installed onto my machine without issue.  I also have a couple other X230 computers that I am pretty sure have the drivers as well already without problems.  So I am wondering if there is some sort of firmware issue with the particular wireless card, or something is causing the drivers to not install in the correct way.  Just my thoughts.

HDMI
Views: 9,933
Message 2 of 9

Re: "No Internet access" yellow icon on ThinkPad X230 after updating Intel PROSet wireless

Hi there,

Nobody else has had any problems with Intel PROSet wireless drivers 15.6+?

Some further info about the configuration of the Lenovo ThinkPad X230 that I have this issue on:

- Windows 7 Enterprise x64

- UEFI boot

- Intel vPro enabled on wired and wireless interfaces

- BitLocker disk encryption using TPM (note: I did encounter the problem without BitLocker being used too)

Also here is the proper link to a forum post on Intel Communities about this same issue:

http://communities.intel.com/thread/38498

802.11n
Views: 9,923
Message 3 of 9

Re: "No Internet access" yellow icon on ThinkPad X230 after updating Intel PROSet wireless

Here is a shot in the dark but I remember years ago a similar problem with earlier thinkpad models.  I don't recall the details but I do remember that the wireless problem was caused by the wired driver.

So to eliminate this as a possibility I recommend uninstalling the Intel wired networking driver version 11.15.16.0 and then disabling the wired network device.  After rebooting see if the wireless issue is resolved; if not, install the latest wireless driver and reboot again.  I think this is really worth a shot.

It goes without saying that creating a restore point before doing this stuff is also a really good idea.!

Good luck

Thinkpad_Munich
What's DOS?
Views: 9,848
Message 4 of 9

Betreff: "No Internet access" yellow icon on ThinkPad X230 after updating Intel PROSet wir

I have the same issue with a brand new T430 with an Intel AGN-6205 Wifi Card. The yellow exclamation point will also appear with a wired LAN connection. Once I open the Internet explorer the exclamation point disappears.
The only way to get rid of this problem is to do a restore of the system and to install one of the older wifi drivers.
punkdrummer84
Paper Tape
Views: 9,669
Message 5 of 9

Betreff: "No Internet access" yellow icon on ThinkPad X230 after updating Intel PROSet wir

I have the same issue on several T430s models after installing updates through Lenovo's System Update utility.  I have worked on trying to get rid of the issue, but I haven't had any luck.  On any new computers I get, I just uninstall the System Update utility to avoid causing any problems.  The warning icon appears even though the computer does have internet access.  It seems like it comes and goes.  Sometimes I can get it to go away by booting the computer with the wireless turned off, but it is only temporary.  I'd rather not have to wipe a few laptops if there is a fix out there for this issue.  Any ideas?

Puppy
Bit Torrent
Views: 9,641
Message 6 of 9

@Thinkpad_Munich wrote:
The yellow exclamation point will also appear with a wired LAN connection. Once I open the Internet explorer the exclamation point disappears.

The same issue on X220 and LAN cable connection. It does not affect the connection or other functionallity so I don't  care.

Bit Torrent
Views: 9,607
Message 7 of 9

Network is ok but network icon in toolbar has yellow exclamation mark after Win7 SP1 install

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-networking/lost-all-my-network-adapters-n...

What's DOS?
Views: 9,482
Message 8 of 9

I think I found a solution.

go to    1. Start / System Control / Network & Internet / Intel PRO Set Wireless Tools

2. open the "Intel Wifi Hotspot Assistant" - Settings

3. disable / un-tick both check boxes (connect automatically with Free Wifi Hotspots ; activate Intel Wifi Hotspot  Assistant)

Steps 1-3 will turn "enable active probing" to value 1 in the registry after a re-boot

-->>> HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\NlaSvc\Parameters\Internet\EnableActiveProbing

Thereafter   4. uninstall all network devices (LAN ; Wifi ; 3G etc.) in the device manager, but don't delete the drivers!!

5. re-boot your computer. Devices will be installed automatically from Windows

6. BINGO, you made it

Hopefully it works for you. For my Lenovo T430 it worked!

norbs007
Paper Tape
Views: 9,364
Message 9 of 9

I deploy a lot of X230 laptops and have been dealing with this issue.  Since I cannot find any information about the cause and how to fix it I started looking more into it.  The "No internet access" yellow icon starts appearing after installing items from System Update.  So, with a new X230 I applied all Windows Update (which installed without issues) before going into System Update.  After doing the Critical and most of the Rcommended (don't care for Access Connections) I proceeded to the Optional updates which I installed one at a time.  When I installed the WiFi Driver for Intel cards 7(64), Version 15.6.1 and rebooted the system the yellow icon appeared with the "No internet connection" status.  Everything still works though, I can still connect to the internet.  Doing a driver rollback does not fix the problem.  I did a system restore from a restore point prior the last System Update and the yellow icon went away.  finished the rest of the Optional updates except the WiFi driver and all is well.  This is what I did and went through, not sure if it will be the same for everybody.  But Lenovo needs to look into that driver version.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors