cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mircolino
SCSI Port
Views: 858
Message 1 of 23

"UCM-UCSI ACPI Device" driver keeps appearing and disappearing from the Device Manager

On my X1 Extreme (20MF000CUS) I recently noticed that when I open the Windows 10 Device Manager the list of devices keeps refreshing, like a new hardware scan is being forced every 2-3 seconds. I started disabling all the devices one by one and I finally narrowed down the culprit:

USB Connect Managers -> UCM-UCSI ACPI Device  (Hardware Id: ACPI\VEN_USB&DEV_C000)

This device, when active, keeps appearing and disappearing from the device manager tree forcing a refresh every few seconds.

And it only happens when my Lenovo Thunderbolt Dock (40AN0230US) is connected. When I disconnect the dock the driver stops disappearing and becomes stable.

Opening the driver Properties -> Details I get:

Problem code: 00000016

Any idea what is going on?

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 817
Message 2 of 23

Re: "UCM-UCSI ACPI Device" driver keeps appearing and disappearing from the Device Manager

Hi mircolino!

Thanks for posting in the Community,

Make sure to update all the Drivers and Firmware for the Thinkpad Thunderbolt 3 Workstation Dock,

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/pd500252

Let us know if this works.

Regards,

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

mircolino
SCSI Port
Views: 801
Message 3 of 23

Re: "UCM-UCSI ACPI Device" driver keeps appearing and disappearing from the Device Manager

Thanks Hector.

Of course I'm running the latest TB3 dock drivers and firmware. But that unfortunately doesn't help.

This is very annoying as the device manager keeps refreshing and rescanning the hardware every 2-3 seconds.

What is the UCM-UCSI ACPI Device? And what does it do?

Could it be something defective with the TB3 dock hardware?

TIA

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 791
Message 4 of 23

Hi there! Could you please connect the TB3 dock and then go to device manager, uninstall the driver specific for the thinkpad and then once done, restart the laptop with the TB3 still connected to it. The driver will be reinstalled. Check if it's the same issue. 

mircolino
SCSI Port
Views: 765
Message 5 of 23

Just as a test I cleaned all unused devices with dism.exe, purchased a different TB3 dock (CalDigit) and I get the exact same behaviour: the "UCM-UCSI ACPI Device" driver keeps appearing and disappearing from the Device Manager forcing an hardware refresh every few seconds. It only stops when I have no TB3 devices connected.

Still don't know what this "UCM-UCSI ACPI Device" is or does. If I disable it in the Device Manager the hardware refresh stops and everything seems to be working OK (including the TB3 dock).

At this point it's either a driver problem or my laptop problem.

Anybody else seeing this? TIA

darkrpogy
Paper Tape
Views: 701
Message 6 of 23

Hi There,

Same issue on my X1-extreme when I connect any TB3 dock. But it started to happen after 1903 update. This is definitely a driver/OS issue, not an hardware issue.

Plus, after 1903 update, Thunderbolt3 Controller also started to act weird.

Please Lenovo ,we urgently need updated drivers for Windows 10 1903.

Thanks.

VLI
What's DOS?
Views: 615
Message 7 of 23

Same issue on my X1 Carbon 6th when I connect TB3 dock.
It started to happen after 1903 update.

mircolino
SCSI Port
Views: 599
Message 8 of 23

I still don't get what this device (driver) does and why, if I disable it, still everything seems to be working OK 🤔

Guru
Views: 584
Message 9 of 23

@Hector_Lenovo wrote:

Hi mircolino!

Thanks for posting in the Community,

Make sure to update all the Drivers and Firmware for the Thinkpad Thunderbolt 3 Workstation Dock,

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/pd500252

Let us know if this works.

Regards,

I am having the same issue on my P1 connected to the Gen2 Workstaton dock. I've updated the FW on the dock to 3.153 per your instructions, but there is no change in the device manager behavior. The USB Connection Manager functions correctly when then system is undocked (all USB-C ports are working), but when connected to the dock, the error keeps occuring. This is on Windows 10 1903. The issue did not happen on the previous Windows 10 feature update (1809). It appears that a driver is missing that is intended to support the USB-C port on the dock. Any further suggestions?

UPDATE: I connected my Gen1 TB3 dock to my P1, updated the FW and the drivers and the issue was NOT present. However, when I detached that dock and reconnected the GEN2 Workstation TB3 dock, the behavior noted reappeared. This seems to be a FW issue in the GEN2 dock and not a driver issue with Windows. I've reinstalled all relevant software and FW with no change. Changed to use my TB3 GEN1 dock until this is corrected. Waiting for a solution.

P70 XEON 1505, BIOS 2.30, UHD 4k Display, 64GB non-ECC RAM, M3000M NVIDIA GPU, RAID 1 512GB Samsung 951 PCIe-NVMe SSD x 2, 2x Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD. EM7455 WWAN
P1. BIOS 1.22,Xeon Processor, 32GB, PM981 1TB x 2, RAID 1
T470s, 16GB RAM, BIOS 1.10, i7-7500, WQHD display, 512GB PM961 PCIe NVMe SSD
V-Tibi
Paper Tape
Views: 542
Message 10 of 23

I noticed similar thing on my L380 after installing the 1903 update. UCN-UCSI ACPI Device under USB Connector Manager node kept refreshing in the Device Manager window except I did not have any dock connected. I suspect the type-c charger caused it. after unplugging and reconnecting everything it stopped doing it for now.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors