Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MisterM6
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,608
Message 1 of 23

"X1 Extreme" Temperamental Thermals

Hi,

I got my X1 Extreme a few days ago and it keeps running extremely hot. If I place it on my lap it gets extremely hot in less than one minute. To make things even weirder it keeps thermal thorttling even when placed on a desk and at idle! (3-5% CPU usage).The keyboard also gets pretty warm and the left hand side can get super hot especially when charging. At other times I've noticed the laptop running super cool at an impressive 45C even when I'm coding. This makes no sense to me. Has anyone experienced this? I'd hate to return the laptop as I absolutely love it but the heat makes it very uncomfortable to use at times.

Thanks!

M

bytemaster1
Punch Card
Views: 4,557
Message 2 of 23

Re: "X1 Extreme" Temperamental Thermals

Open up Lenovo Vantage, and go to Smart Settings or Power (depends on where they located it on that model). See if it's set to "intelligent cooling", and if so, disable it and always set it to performance. In that mode, it'll prefer to cool more aggresively and use the fan. 

On the other hand, if you're running "cool and quiet", it'll lower clock speeds and favor thermal throttling over cooling things. Might have to play with the settings. I'm running an X1Yoga3, so I don't have experience with your notebook configuration.

MisterM6
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,546
Message 3 of 23

Thanks but I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. My problem is not that the CPU is thermal throttling, my problem is that it gets so hot even at idle. I'm not sure that an idle CPU (even if it's a hexa core) should be at 80C. That doesn't sound right even with the fans on low.

BTW, I added the detail that it thermal throttles at idle just as a side note to indicate how bad it is. Also I don't mind if it throttle to keep cool but it's throttling and staying super hot without any load.

freddellmeister
Token Ring
Views: 4,486
Message 4 of 23

The machine will not get hot if it is idle.
Maybe there is a background job running, like windows update, anti virus, anti malware etc. The faster machine the more heat is generated by such tasks in my experience.
Sometime you need to open resource manager to see those processes.
MisterM6
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,447
Message 5 of 23

Of course I have process manager open I didn't just estimate that the CPU was at 3 to 5% Smiley Happy And the temperature reading is according to Intel's own utility.  The machine IS hot at idle. Maybe I'll post pictures later today to clear up confusion.

bytemaster1
Punch Card
Views: 4,404
Message 6 of 23

So, I'm guessing you have the 8850H configuration. That's a 45W TDP CPU, which even at idle clocks can likely generate a lot of heat.

First question: In your power settings slider, is it set to "Best Performance"? If so, it tends to keep the CPU clocks pushed as high as possible, even when idle. If you set it to the middle position, especially when on AC power, it'll allow the clocks to drop to 800MHz or so, but ramp up quickly. If I put my X1Y3 at "Best Performance", the clocks on all 4 cores all go up to around 4.2GHz even at idle. Funny enough, it starts to thermal throttle even at lighter loads. If I set it to "Better Performance", clocks drop to 800MHz when possible, and the whole thing runs a lot cooler.

Second thing: When you're looking at the CPU utilization, are you on the Performance tab of device manager, or Details? These tabs report CPU utilization differently due to hyperthreading. If you're seeing 5% utilization on the Details tab when sorting by CPU, that's 60% utilization by one virtual core (100% total / 12). I generally see 1% on idle in the details tab. If you have it set on "Best Performance", that'll only compound the issue.

It's funny how "Best Performance" = slower performance on laptops because you end up with far more heat soak. On desktops with adequate cooling, of course, "Best Performance" indeed fits the bill due to lower latencies on processor frequency spool-up. If it's not on that, check the middle option, at least on AC performance, and see how it does. 

bytemaster1
Punch Card
Views: 4,401
Message 7 of 23

Also, as a third question: Are you using something like HWMonitor to look at your system clocks? Ideally you'd be sitting at around 800MHz the whole time. If it's higher than that consistently, you have something using CPU time, or you have it set to "Best Performance", which causes extra heat.
eTomcat
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,125
Message 8 of 23

Hi MisterM6,

Did you figure out what the problem was with your laptop? 

I just got my X1 Extreme yesterday and have exactly the same problem / concern - even at idle it hits 80C and trottles as I am just watching the screen Smiley Sad

I have the laptop plugged in to AC and the CPU stays at 4GHz or over all the time, even when I am not using it.

I noticed in the BIOS an option that was set (by Default) to Best Performanace on AC and the explanation was that it is pushing the CPU to the max all the time. Not sure if that is the issue or not, but that is terribly NOT smart for a laptop of such size (and price).

Further more, no matter what I do, when I am moving the coursor using the track pad (just navigating the OS), it will ocasionally stop moving for a fraction of the second, but enough to loose sync with your finger. And it is not because of bad contact with the touchpad. It is like stuterring.  Same thing happens when I am closing a program. It will just freez fro a fraction of the second. The whole laptop feels SLOW. And I mean it. A cheap ~$400 lenovo my friend has feels lightning fast compared to my 10x more expensive X1 Extreme. Very, very dissapointed.

I like the overall look of the laptop, but at that point I am not sure I want to keep it considering the issues and the price I paid for it.

Were you able to solve your issue? Do you have any ideas?

Thank you

MisterM6
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,115
Message 9 of 23

Sorry I ended up returning for the reasons below. The only thing I can recommend is undervolting it made a bit of difference.

Reasons I sent it back:

1. The heat radiating from the keyboard, monitor hinge and the sides made it very annoying.

2. The price dropped by $300 and they wouldn't match their own price because it was using a "coupon". So I returned it for a refund and got a new one which arrived with the "u" keyboard button not working. So of course I returned that one as well. My conclusion was that it seems there are some QA issues as some users are not facing any issues so I'm either going to hold off for now or just look for another one.

eTomcat
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,107
Message 10 of 23

Thanks for the quick reply. I may end up doing the same. I cancelled my order for XPS15 which was cheaper than X1 Extr. and that with 32GB RAM and 1tb disk due to many reports regarding a bad audio latency and went with Lenovo. I may contact Lenovo support to see if they can do anything. Or will just return it an ego in "wait-and-see" mode for a while.

Thanks again for the quick reply

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors