Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
eTomcat
Fanfold Paper
Views: 846
Message 21 of 23

Re: "X1 Extreme" Temperamental Thermals

Same thing. Looks like this is the “normal” behaviour for those laptops. Due to the small thermal capacity, the cooling system gets saturated very quickly and requires the fans to kick in. 
I have 8850 16GB 512GB with 4k. The GPU is 1050 Ti Max-Q on all X1 Extreme.
My second laptop is better but still runs hotter than I am used to. I thing the first one may have had the thermal paste not well applied.
I haven’t tested on linux. 
I did a clean Windows install with all drivers except the PowerManagment Lenovo drivers and Lenovo Vantage and felt like the the temps were controlled betrer. The fans will kick in more often and at lower temps but that would keep the whole system a bit cooler. Adding Lenovo PM drivers make tge laptop more silent but with higher over all temps on the body. The worst think in my opinion is with Lenovo Vantage installed. With that installed looks like  some light background processes started to kick in quite  often which makes the CPU to all core Turbo Boost even on idle (from user perspective).
The clean Windows install made the system more responsive. Just do not install Vantage.
There is also a new driver for the 9560 wifi module on the Intel site. To install it you need first to manually uninstall the current wifi software and drivers.
kpkimmel
What's DOS?
Views: 210
Message 22 of 23

these are ridiculous problems for a 2k laptop. I"m returning mine due to the fans always kicking on no matter what you do, as soon as you interact with the machine. very bad thermal design for this laptop.
eTomcat
Fanfold Paper
Views: 200
Message 23 of 23

Indeed. I went through three systems - two with 8850 and one with 8750 and ended up returning them all. I am done with Lenovo’s Extremes. Perhaps I should have tested the i5 instead of 8750...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors