Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
david511
What's DOS?
Views: 339
Message 1 of 5

swap hard drive to swap OS?

i've got a thinkpad x230 with windows 10 installed.   i want to install linux on it whilst still keeping windows 10 in case i need it down the line.

IS IT POSSIBLE a straight hard drive swap will do the trick?  if i just buy another SSD & put some linux flavor on it will i just be able to pull the old SSD (with windows 10 on it) out of storage in the future should i ever need it & have it work straight away?   or are things more complicated than that

[ not interested in dual booting, etc.  too much of a pain.  nor installing VM software.  IF i can get a decent linux distro working i'll be using it as the main OS for a while ]

cheers in advance for any suggestions, david

psun786
Punch Card
Views: 336
Message 2 of 5

Re: swap hard drive to swap OS?

Yes.

Or you can also use disk image software (example, acronis true image) to create a copy of Win10. Next time you want get back to Windows, simply boot into disk image software and recover from image file.

SeniorGuru
Views: 329
Message 3 of 5

IS IT POSSIBLE a straight hard drive swap will do the trick?

Yes. Another option would be to buy an inexpensive USB enclosure and put one of the drives in it. Then you can easily switch between the drive inside the X230 and the external drive at power-on by selecting which drive to boot from.

Community SeniorMod
Views: 312
Message 4 of 5

One other option: if you don't have a WWAN card use that slot for an mSATA SSD and run one of your OS-en on that.  Yes, it's dual-booting, but it doesn't involve messing with disk partitioning and boot loaders.

May or may not be appealing, particularly if you have no need to access windows regularly.  It can be handy if you need windows for the occasional BIOS update.

I like to run my laptops that way, but with things flipped around.   Windows on the smaller SSD, bootable Linux - and other tools - and backup(s) of Windows on the larger one.  But my use case involves windows mostly.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

david511
What's DOS?
Views: 302
Message 5 of 5

cheers for the comments dudes.  last one seems particularly appealing

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors