cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
palstor
Blue Screen Again
Views: 898
Message 1 of 4

thinkpad X1 Extreme SSD upgrade - single sided and/or double sided SSD's supported

the X1E i ordered had one primary NVMe M.2 drive and I went and purchased another M.2 NVMe drive from another vendor

upon receiving my machine and trying to install the additional drive, I discovered that the SSD would not lay flat seemingly because it's a double-sided SSD.  

I have not seen anywhere that says the X1E must utillize a single-sided SSD and the user guide provides no clarification.  i have contacted lenovo via chat and also technical support via telephone and they've been of no help.  

when it says M.2 form factor you would assume that any M.2 drive would work but apparently it does not.  if I have to return the drive I'll be out $60 for shipping and restocking fee.  

am I missing something here?  

i'd be very disappointed if I have to return the drive and get dinged $60.  If indeed it only takes single-sided drives, how would an average user/customer know that?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 878
Message 2 of 4

Re: thinkpad X1 Extreme SSD upgrade - single sided and/or double sided SSD's supported

Single sided SSDs are the norm.  Double sided drives use different connectors and need more vertical clearance.  I would expect that a drive that was double-sided would have a note of that requirement.  I'm not sure what is an average user.  To add an M.2 drive, SATA vs. NVMe and single vs. double-sided considerations become important, just as RAM speed and voltage are important when adding memory.  The average user may know nothing about that.  The safest is always to buy Lenovo-branded, but other considerations may come into play.  I always suggest that users check a seller's return policy when adding memory or changing disks.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 873
Message 3 of 4

Re: thinkpad X1 Extreme SSD upgrade - single sided and/or double sided SSD's supported

Looking at the images in the partslist for that model, all the M.2 SSD's available directly from Lenovo, even the 1TB models, are indeed singled sided, so while I would think that they would be nice enough to mention that in the Psref or manuals, it does appear to be the case.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

CrypticM
Paper Tape
Views: 705
Message 4 of 4

Probably a late reply...but check this below link from crucial..which states double sided SSD as compatiable model..

https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Lenovo/thinkpad-x1-extreme

better check manual..there must be way to do it...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors