cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
steirx
Paper Tape
Views: 90
Message 1 of 3

thinkpad x1 yoga 3rd Windows 10 - How to see / set Battery Charging Threshold?

Hi there, 

I have a question with regards to power management for my Lenovo thinkpad x1 yoga 3rd. 

I tried finding a solution to be able to manage the charging threshold points myself.

However, anything I found points to either old solutions (Lenovo Companion, Lenovo Settings) or it doesn't seem to be fully working for my device and environment (Windows 10).

I have ended up installing Lenovo Vantage from the Windows App Store but I notice that:

- it takes a long time for the app to start (several minutes)

- there is no "Power" menu item under HW 

I am not sure if the app is compatible with my device? For example, the Update System Drivers function doesn't seem to work at all. I triggered the same and the hour glass indicates gathering information but nothing seems to happen (I waited for more then 30 min). 

So, as I usually work off the power supply and only seldom on battery, I want to be able to limit charging of the battery to a max of 80 or 85%. I found some instructions on tweaking registry settings but all they did so far is showing the battery icon in the task bar (but maybe that came with the Lenovo Vantage installation, I can't be fully sure). 

I read several posts that the threshold settings are not necessary for modern / new systems but being an electrical engineer and having read up on the Lithium Ion Battery charging issue, I beg to differ! Unless the battery is calibrated to show 100% at a "true" 85% charge, charging the last 15% will unnecessarely age the battery faster. And as the battery cannot easily be removed / exchanged from my system this is an important topic / issue for me. 

Anyone any advice? 

THANKS

STEIRX

Guru
Views: 57
Message 2 of 3

Re: thinkpad x1 yoga 3rd Windows 10 - How to see / set Battery Charging Threshold?

You are right it should work in Lenovo Vantage.  I have a X1 Yoga 3rd gen too.  See if the below will help you.

hard.PNG

Uninstall Lenovo Vantage and Lenovo System Interface Foundation. After reboot install Lenovo Vantage from Microsoft store again, but not Lenovo System Interface Foundation. After opening Lenovo Vantage, there will be a link to latest Lenovo System Interface Foundation , download(should be version 1.1.16.0) and install it. 

Also to uninstall Lenovo System Interface Foundation see below

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/HT506070

See if that fixes your problem.

If a post answers your question, please mark it as an”Accepted Solution“!
If a post helps you, please click the star to give it a "Kudo"!

I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. I will not respond to unsolicited private messages. Questions belong in the forum so it may help other forum members as well.
TP 25 Retro, X1 Yoga 3rd Gen, W510 850 EVO, A30p
Retired 385D, A20p, A21p

steirx
Paper Tape
Views: 43
Message 3 of 3

Re: thinkpad x1 yoga 3rd Windows 10 - How to see / set Battery Charging Threshold?

THANK YOU green5178, 
it worked exactly as outlined! 
Now I have full Vantage functionallity! 

Hip Hip! 
All the best, 

STEIRX

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors