Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
albertcuy
Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,205
Message 1 of 5

thinkpad x230 build quality issues

Hi All,

My first post here...sadly it's not in praise of the thinkpad line.

We have two IBM Thinkpad R50e's at work, and was quite impressed with the build quality. Up to now they're holding up quite nicely...which is what made me want a thinkpad.

i finally got my hands on a thinkpad x230 last week....and when i opened it, the plastic bezel on the top right corner of the lid popped out Smiley Tongue On closer inspection i noticed that the top right corner flexed, right where the strip of plastic at the edge meets the LCD display, and with it the bezel. At rest the two pieces don't line up properly. The leftmost corner of the lid showed no flexing at all.

i seriously doubt if this was caused by mishandling during shipping. The box only had minor bumps, and none of them seem to line up with where the damage was.

i've gone to the local service center here, who informed me that this isn't covered by the warranty. i am currently awaitnig a quote for the part that i will have to pay out of my own pocket, on top of the price i paid for thinkpad "quality".

On top of that, there's this annoying battery wiggle. The service center that this is normal...which is quite disappointing, since the battery on my old Asus EEEPC1000, after all these years, has not shown even the slightest wiggle after all these years of abuse.

Needless to say i am very disappointed. Sorry to say this but this will most likely be my first and last Lenovo. i am willing to pay a premium for quality, sadly i didn't get it. MIL-spec'd? Used by NASA? i have my doubts.

GLaDOSPulse
SCSI Port
Views: 3,169
Message 2 of 5

Re: thinkpad x230 build quality issues

There's an explanation for the battery wiggle, all systems are like that. Even the X131e.

My old laptop used as a workstation has a bad battery, but I took it out so it's temperature can stay at a stable level.

I find the "used by NASA" a total bluff as the Space Station relies on older ThinkPad systems, since they were modified to be in 0 gravity environments.

Sorry to hear that your X230's bezel popped out, mine doesn't suffer this so I'm presuming it's batch was a little lemony. I had another X230 which I returned for a full refund and waited a year and ordered again.

It's a little ridiculous, because Lenovo normally sells nice systems but they're cheapening out over the years.

Blue Screen Again
Views: 3,145
Message 3 of 5

Thank you for the sympathetic ear. Sorry to hear you've had x230 issues as well.

Just an update:

So the nice lady at MSI-ECS Service Center at Bonifacio Global City(Philippines) tells me that my request for repair has been "disapproved", since it's not covered by the warranty. Furthermore i was asked for the official receipt of the purchase which may be used to waive the service fee. i informed her that this was an online purchase, and if a printout/screendump of the transaction was enough -- she said that it would be "for approval" Smiley Tongue 

i tried very hard not to blow up at the nice lady, since this really isn't her fault. So i didn't. But y'know, if you're gonna give anyone a printed receipt, preferrably delivered with the laptop, then maybe you shouldn't ask for one when people bring their laptops in for repairs, in or out of warranty. 

Man, to think i ignored all those complaints i've read about Lenovo service before i bought the laptop...

GLaDOSPulse
SCSI Port
Views: 3,086
Message 4 of 5

To be honest with you it's a hit and miss, I was only lucky for my current, decently built X230.

I hope you get it sorted soon!

What's DOS?
Views: 3,027
Message 5 of 5

The stickers on the palm rest of mine are cockeyed which I find amusing since its a sloppiness that can be instantly seen, meaning no one even looked at it or didn't care.

Less amusing is the fact that its totally dead and unresponsive today. After just over a year...
Top Kudoed Authors