cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
guho
SCSI Port
Views: 282
Message 1 of 4

upgrade X1 Yoga 1st Gen OLED to X1 Yoga 2nd Gen (2017) OLED worth it?

Hi, is it worth it to upgrade from Thinkpad X1 Yoga 1st Gen OLED to Thinkpad X1 Yoga 2nd Gen (2017) OLED?

I am very happy with my 1st gen but found an inexpensive 2nd gen OLED on eBay. The CPU is faster (7600u vs. 6700u). Something changed about the mechanics of keyboard retraction. And USB-C. I want OLED so 3rd gen is out of the question.

The SSD is smallish (256GB) on the 2nd gen from eBay, so I am planning to replace the ssd with a 970 Pro 1TB. Any problems I could experience with this?

bobbysteel
Fanfold Paper
Views: 250
Message 2 of 4

Re: upgrade X1 Yoga 1st Gen OLED to X1 Yoga 2nd Gen (2017) OLED worth it?

I don't really see the point even if it's a good price. The CPU differences are VERY small. USB-C isn't really much of a big deal IMO.
bobbysteel
Fanfold Paper
Views: 250
Message 3 of 4

LeoLaw
Punch Card
Views: 242
Message 4 of 4

Throw this out of the door and save your money for another brand. My 2nd gen OLED screen just died yesterday and my machine, "coincidentally", had expired 2 months ago.Upon a long night of research, apparently, I am not the only person who is having this issue. Reported my case on technical support, but they didn't want to follow up because my warranty had expired. Called the customer support to escalate the issue, and the rep spent half an hour arguing that my warranty had expired and he could do nothing further. He gave me the 2 options: 1) Charge me $85 to have my X1 shipped to the "Depot" and inspected. If it can be fixed, the $85 will be applied toward the final bill, or 2) Bring the X1 to a service center (myself) and get it inspected to see how much it would cost to fix it. After listening to both options, I was furious. I spent 2k+ (OLED + 1TB SSD + 16GB)  for this, hoping that it will last for a long time just like my old ThinkPad (but now that IBM has sold the ThinkPad brand to Lenovo, the quality is definitely not up to par anymore), but was treated like the person in fault. I refused to hang up, even though the rep repeatedly reminded me that the warranty had expired, and explained to him that the machine was defective in the first place, so the onus of amending the issue should be on them. How dare that they want to suck out more money to cover their own QA problem. Combing through different forums (People on Reddit also have similar issue with their OLED display. See the ThinkPad sub-reddit), it appears to me that I am not the only person who is having this OLED screen issue, so this is definitely a widespread case that Lenovo is trying to hide. People who have given this machine high rating have been fooled. Your X1 will not last as longer than you thought. The rep's supervisor has escalated the issue to another department, and let's see if they can do the right thing. I encourage everyone who has this issue to come forward and share your pains, so that this can be properly addressed.

My conclusion: 

1) Don't waste your money doing the upgrade

2) Just don't

3) Do step #1

Moderator comment: Post edited to conform with the Community Rules. Keep it clean.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors