English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics

user-mode driver crash / Event ID 10111 (Thinkpad Yoga X380 and hybrid USB-C Dock)

2020-01-28, 13:09 PM

dear support forum team,

I am suffering from a very annoying problem in combination with my Lenovo Thinkpad Yoga X380 and the ThinkPad Hybrid USB-C with USB-A Dock.

The setup: Notebook - Dock connection is via USB-C, 2 Displays attached to Dock via DP.

The symptoms: Mouse freezes, displays freeze ... after approx. 15 seconds they turn black and recover to normal operation within another 10 seconds. Interestingly: LAN connectivity, which is also handled via dock, stays working. If the problem reoccurs to often, within a short period of time, after the third attempt the external displays stay frozen (showing the last screen) and do not recover. I have to open the notebook lid, as this is the only active display then, and disconnect/reconnect the dock again.

During that time, the eventviewer gets flooded with the EventID: 10111 Source: DriverFrameworks-UserMode and the Text: The device "ThinkPad Hybrid USB-C with USB-A Dock" (Location "003e.0000.0000.001.002.000.000.000.000") is offline due to a user-mode driver crash. Windows will attempt to restart the device 5 more times. Please contact the device manufacturer for more information about this problem.

For other German users: Das Gerät "ThinkPad Hybrid USB-C with USB-A Dock" (Ort "003e.0000.0000.001.002.000.000.000.000") ist aufgrund eines Ausfalls eines Benutzermodustreibers offline. Ein Neustart des Geräts wird 5 Mal versucht. Weitere Informationen zu diesem Problem erhalten Sie beim Gerätehersteller.

I am not the only one affected with that issue as a thread also exists in the Displaylink support forums (hope this link complies with the forum rules: https://www.displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?s=43e6a323fe7cc84582249a77dafc6589&t=66675) which all describe simmilar symptoms. DisplayLink states that it is a "vendor" problem (Lenovo) that is why I post here.

• all Drivers / Firmwares of Yoga are up to date according to System Update 5 Tool
  • all Drives / Firmwares of the Dock are up to date according to your website (September 2019)
  • latest DisplayLink drivers from their website were tested => no change
  • OS is Windows 10 Pro x64 (up 2 date)
  • all cables (Displayport) are certified and have been already been exchanged
  • The power supply is fine, and connecting a second one so dock and notebook are powered by two separate supplies does not help (but maybe reduce the occurance slightly)
  • The problem itself may (oddly enough) not occur for one or two days (rarely) but sometimes it happens 10 times a day, with 3 complete: undock/reset docking-station/re-dock cycles making it almost impossible to work.

Can anyone help me?

Options

1815 Posts

08-02-2018

US

697 Signins

10126 Page Views

• Views: 10126
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: user-mode driver crash / Event ID 10111 (Thinkpad Yoga X380 and hybrid USB-C Dock)

2020-01-28, 15:50 PM

Hi Schlaubstar!

Welcome to our forums community.

Could you provide to us the system information? Type msinfo on the search box at the bottom left side of your machine. Just to make sure that everything is up to date , run the update through the vantage app and install all available updates. And also, install the firmware and driver of the docking station. You can find it here: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/pd500180.

Update us how it goes.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Re: user-mode driver crash / Event ID 10111 (Thinkpad Yoga X380 and hybrid USB-C Dock)

2020-01-29, 10:05 AM

Thanks for the link but as I hoped for a solution, I already monitor that site for updates regularly, so the latest Dock-Firmware
(V10026) was already installed.

The latest Dock Driver V10020 was quiet new so I installed it, however: the included drivers are always behind the releases directly from DisplayLink and the Installation did not change the situation.

Essentials from MSINFO:
Essentials from MSINFO:
OS Name                         Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise
Version                             10.0.17134 Build 17134
Other OS Description   Not Available
OS Manufacturer           Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer   LENOVO
System Model                20LJS2YE00
System Type                   x64-based PC
System SKU                    LENOVO_MT_20LJ_BU_Think_FM_ThinkPad X380 Yoga
Processor                        Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8350U CPU @ 1.70GHz, 1896 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date        LENOVO R0SET49W (1.33 ), 27.12.2019
SMBIOS Version             3.0
Embedded Controller Version    1.33
BIOS Mode                    UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer        LENOVO
BaseBoard Model                Not Available
BaseBoard Name                Mainboard
Platform Role                Mobile
Secure Boot State            On
PCR7 Configuration            Not Available
Windows Directory            C:\WINDOWS
System Directory            C:\WINDOWS\system32
Hardware Abstraction Layer    Version = "10.0.17134.1098"
Physical Memory(RAM)        16,0 GB
Kernel DMA Protection        Not Available
Virtualization-based security    Running
Virtualization-based security     Required Security Properties    Base Virtualization Support, Secure Boot
Virtualization-based security     Available Security Properties    Base Virtualization Support, Secure Boot, DMA Protection, Secure Memory Overwrite, UEFI Code Readonly, SMM Security Mitigations 1.0, Mode Based Execution Control
Virtualization-based security     Services Configured    Credential Guard
Virtualization-based security     Services Running    Credential Guard
Device Encryption Support        Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected, Disabled by policy, WinRE is not configured
A hypervisor has been detected. Features required for Hyper-V will not be displayed.   

As I cann not access the Appstore (Corporate Environment) I can not install the Vantage app, but I have "System Update 5 (5.07.0092)" installed and it does not show any available update for my devices,
although it does not detect the docking station correctly - It seems to only provide drivers for the Yoga X380 itself and I have to manually install firmwares & drivers for the dock.

Attached a screenshot from my eventviewer. Although it is German you may understand how this impacts productivity working with the device as each entry-triple causes the mouse to freeze, the displays to turn off and on again and this is just one day

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save