cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maotse
Paper Tape
Views: 4,333
Message 1 of 9

what exactly does the ThinkPad OneLink+ to RJ45 adapter do?

I'm looking into buying the new Carbon X1 2017 as soon as it comes out. 

I tend to need an ethernet connection often and want handling with ethernet cables as effortless as possible .  

On my current laptop (Dell XPS 15, Win10Pro64) I use an ethernet-USB3 adapter. Honestly, these adapters are crap and constantly annoy me. Mine seems to re-install it's driver (or at least somehow initiate thru the system) every time I plug the adapter in. About 60% of the time the system looses the IP configuration and I have to re-type the IP address. Also the system gets confused occasionally when I connecte/disconnect the adpater and tells me that my IP is already in use. I suspect this happens because the adapter is embedded in the system via software, not hardware.

I really hope this is much, much better with the X1, as it comes with a designated connector for this... still, I need a dongle to connect an RJ45 cable which is a good source of error.

Maybe someone who is actually using the OneLink+ to RJ45 adapter can give me a bit of insight, what happens in the system with this connector.

Does the ethernet port actually disappear from the system, when there is no OneLink+ to RJ45 adapter connected? Do I need to re-configure the settings every time the adapter is plugged in?

I think it would be great if the ethernet connection just sits there in the system and keeps it's configuration neatly, also if the RJ45 adapter is not connected. 

Can anyone explain ?

Thank you!

Martin

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,253
Message 2 of 9

Re: what exactly does the ThinkPad OneLink+ to RJ45 adapter do?

Hello and welcome,

Based on the published specs, the 2017 X1 Carbon doesn't use a OneLink connector.

It provides native Ethernet via a proprietary connector and adapter dongle.  The adapter is passive - to get from the small laptop connector to an RJ45 socket.  I'd expect it to behave like the similar port in my Yoga 370 - just like a standard RJ45 port in older laptops.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8ky8ly335np0jfe/Lenovo%20ThinkPad%20X1%20Carbon%20PR%20Use%20PDF%202016-20...

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

m_a_s
Punch Card
Views: 4,227
Message 3 of 9

The OneLink to RJ45 adapter is just what it says it is.  It allows you to connect a RJ45 ethernet connection to a OneLink port. Smiley Happy

Based on the pictures of the X1 Carbon at the 2017 CES this item would be completely useless to you as the new X1C does not appear to have a OneLink port.  Thanks to Apple starting the trend of removing ports that people need from laptops, the X1C has this problem, too.  There are already a plethora of USB-C to ethernet adapters on the market.  You could also get one of the numerous USB-A to Ethernet also on the market.

maotse
Paper Tape
Views: 4,215
Message 4 of 9

I don't want to use the USB-Ethernet adapters, as they are pretty unusable if you connect/disconnect them often (see my previous posting) .
maotse
Paper Tape
Views: 4,215
Message 5 of 9

Thanks! That's what I was hoping for.
m_a_s
Punch Card
Views: 4,174
Message 6 of 9

@maotse wrote:
I don't want to use the USB-Ethernet adapters, as they are pretty unusable if you connect/disconnect them often (see my previous posting) .

This is also dependent on which OS you are using and how well the drivers are written for the device.  Over the years I have used some fairly reliable ones and some that made me want to put a needle in my eye.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,169
Message 7 of 9

Here's what the current passive adapter looks like.  My guess is that it or something like it will be included with the laptop. but that's only a guess at this point.

Z.

Ethernet Dongle.jpg

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

mschaffer
Punch Card
Views: 4,162
Message 8 of 9

Curiously, on http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/thinkpad/x-series/x1-carbon/?IPromoID=LEN632465 Lenovo lists a Native RJ45 in the Tech Specs:

I/O (Input / Output) Ports
  • 2 Intel® Thunderbolt™ 3
  • 2 USB 3.0
  • HDMI
  • Native RJ45
  • MicroSD
  • MicroSIM

I wonder what that means, or is this simply the dongle that zoltanthegypsy had mentioned?  Or does it mean that the RJ45 does not work internationally? 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,153
Message 9 of 9

That should probably say Native Ethernet: RJ45 via Dongle or similar.

Here's a screen grab from one of the product photos at that link.  It's their proprietary ethernet port.  Full-size RJ45 wouldn't fit.

Z.

X1 Carbon Native RJ45.PNG

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors