Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jeffbg123
Paper Tape
Views: 236
Message 1 of 5

x1 Carbon Thinkpad stopped turning on, depot claims water damage

I bought a 6th gen X1 Carbon in November for $1258 (after tax). Last week the speakers stopped working. I rebooted it, there was a wierd noise, and it never turned back on. I was unable to ever get it back on. I sent it into the Depot and their response was that it had water damage and we would need to approve billing for the following components:

LNV-00HW562FRU Yoda-2 Audio Subcard-JYT1
LNV-01YR210PLNR WIN i7-8550U 16G TPM21
LNV-01YR421ASM Case Base Cover Black1

The total repair would cost $733, nearly half the laptop's cost.

I asked for pictures, and they sent me one: Picture

I've never spilled anything on the laptop (only 5 months old) and it has been used on a desk away from liquids, so I have no idea how this happened (or if it happened).

My questions are:

1. I escalated the request, but what other options to I have to fight this?

2. Could this picture have an alternative cause that would be covered under the warranty?

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

draco2527
802.11n
Views: 223
Message 2 of 5

Re: x1 Carbon Thinkpad stopped turning on, depot claims water damage

It can be a hit and miss with "liquid damage claims", sometimes they don't have a leg to stand on (mistakes happen). However, most time as in this case, there is a liguid spill/intrusion.  It can be a problem to get the parts covered.

First I would ask for a more detailed description of the liquid damage, what componets are damaged, etc. Sometimes the liquid will be in a hinge area and they will still "void" your warranty. ANY hint of liquid intrusion and it is an automatic denial. Again, ask for more pictures, reference location of spill with other components -use the HMM that pertains to your machine -.

What version of the X1 (model/type)? This will help narrow down what we are looking at on the picture, as different generations are built differently.

One thing I always recommend (and I have purchased/owned more ThinkPads than I can count). Always get the accidental damage protection if your laptop is a large purchase and you want it for x amount of years. Peace of mind and it would have avoided this dilemma. 

Currently own: T61, X220T, X220, X230, T430, T450, W550s 3K,
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 217
Message 3 of 5

It isn't a very good picture, but it looks like liquid damage.  If just the audio card was damaged it might be a wet audio connector plugged in..  With both the audio card and the motherboard getting hit, liquid splashed into fan vents would be my guess.  I AM NOT SUGGESTING THAT YOU ARE LYING.  I REPAIR MACHINES AND IF I SAW THAT MACHINE IN THAT CONDITION, LIQUID IN THROUGH THE FAN VENTS WOULD BE MY GUESS, WITH NO MORE INFORMATION.

Did you buy the machine direct from Lenovo?  Was it refurbished or being re-sold?  Sometimes, that kind of damage can work for a while and then fail if the liquid causes corrosion over time.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
jeffbg123
Paper Tape
Views: 212
Message 4 of 5

ThinkPad X1 Carbon (6th Gen) - Black

Will ask for more pics. Thanks

jeffbg123
Paper Tape
Views: 211
Message 5 of 5

Thanks for the feedback righk. I bought it brand new from Lenovo. 

Hopefully they will send me more pictures of the damaged parts.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors