Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cs349
Paper Tape
Views: 4,214
Message 1 of 8

x1 Carbon won't start up

My computer was doing some Windows updates yesterday. I thought the process was done, but now I'm thinking maybe I shut it down a little too soon. This morning when I tried to boot up the computer, I couldn't get past the start up screen with the Lenovo logo. Sometimes the screen just stays there, sometimes it moves on and the screen just goes blank. I can't make it past this screen.

I've tried doing a hard reset. I poked around some of the settings in safe mode (which I can't always get to), but nothing seemed to work. Anyone have any ideas on recovering rather than having to wipe the whole computer and start over?

pfar777
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,155
Message 2 of 8

Re: x1 Carbon won't start up

I got my ThinkPad X1 Carbon 4th gen directly from Lenovo two days ago. This morning it won't turn on let alone boot. Tried the reset several times. Tried the press power 10 times for 1 sec then 30 sec. Still won't turn on. I spent about two days getting everything set up. Appartently two days wasted. I am working with Lenovo on getting a new machine but this is pretty frustrating. I don't see a way to disconnect the battery whcih is part of the "press power 10 times for 1 sec then 30 sec" solution that I have seen on the web. I think Mark_Lenovo has posted on this (for perhaps older X1s) but I cannot see a way to contact him. I think this must be some sort of static issue. I really hope this is not a common X1 problem. I wonder if I should just get a refund and start with a different computer. I have a ThinkStation which works well which is why I went for a ThinkPad to replace my 2012 Macbook Pro Retina Display.

David_J_W
802.11n
Views: 4,150
Message 3 of 8

Lenovo have issued a bulletin on the Support site about this problem (click). Hardware replacement should not be necessary - just make the indicated change in the BIOS (note that it helps to keep pressing Enter after you turn on the machine but before the splash screen displays in order to bring up the menu where you can enter the BIOS configuration).

Keep an eye on the bulletin, as you want Secure Boot back on to enhance your security once there is a permanent fix.

If you are unhappy with having Secure Boot off, roll back to your previous version of Windows when you get into Windows 10. This should revert you from Windows 10 Version 1607 to Windows 10 Version 1511. As always, backups are recommended before taking this kind of step.

pfar777
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,142
Message 4 of 8

The problem is that the machine won't turn on at all. The power button doesn't even light when it is pressed. No sign of life at all. It acts like the battery is completely dead and it has no power but it is plugged into AC and the outlet is working. It was fully charged last night at 11pm and was plugged in when I went to bed. This morning ThinkPad RIP.

David_J_W
802.11n
Views: 4,135
Message 5 of 8

There is a tiny reset button in the base of the computer, next to the regulatory information. Remove external power from the computer, insert a straightened paperclip into the hole and press the button. Reapply external power. Does the computer power up now?

pfar777
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,128
Message 6 of 8

Thank you for your response. Unfortunately I have tried that several times (last time after receiving your response) and it still will not turn on.
David_J_W
802.11n
Views: 4,119
Message 7 of 8

That's really unfortunate. I hope you feel able to persevere with repair or replacement, as the X1 Carbon Gen 4 is a fantastic machine. I'm very pleased with my X1 Yoga Gen 1, which is pretty much the same hardware platform with a few additional features.

Best wishes in sorting it out.

pfar777
Blue Screen Again
Views: 4,116
Message 8 of 8

Yes I was pretty happy with its features, design and the light weight. I have been told that a replacement is in the works. Also am sending a private message to a Lenovo staff member through the forum to see if she can help get it working so I don't have to get the replacement.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors