Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TonySt
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,494
Message 1 of 4

x1 carbon 2nd gen (20A7) + hdmi, external screen dark

The Thinkpad referenced above is equipped with a HDMI interface. During a test to directly connect a LCD projector or an external LCD display or a TV via an HDMI cable, I found that no picture appeared neither on the projected screen nor the display not the TV (the external screens stay black). Trying to connect via a „Lenovo HDMI to VGA Monitor Adapter“ and using a VGA cable resulted in the same (at least on the projector).

What was done:

On the X1, expand or change screens via Win+P  --> external projector, display or TV remain black (do not seem to receive a proper signal) while the X1 seems to recognize that an external display is connected (it correctly identifies the external screen in the screen settings).

The X1 is on the latest patching level (according to Lenovo System Update), all drivers installed. Patching the latest Intel Graphics 5000 driver did not work (it says its a vendor specific driver).

Even a dedicated installation of the external display driver on the X1 did not help or change anything.

I also tried different HDMI cables, no change.

I am lost of further ideas. Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

TonySt

History: Yoga Book W10 LTE, Lenovo X1 Carbon 2nd gen, Thinkpad 10 Tablet, TP 420s, TS P310, ... and more
TonySt
Fanfold Paper
Views: 917
Message 2 of 4

Re: x1 carbon 2nd gen (20A7) + hdmi, external screen dark

Update: The problem could only be resolved by getting a new motherboard installed. Ordered via Lenovo Support, replaced and its working. This was really a hardware issue.

History: Yoga Book W10 LTE, Lenovo X1 Carbon 2nd gen, Thinkpad 10 Tablet, TP 420s, TS P310, ... and more
Sapell
Paper Tape
Views: 800
Message 3 of 4

This is ridiculous that I have to buy a new motherboard  just to solve thi sismple problem??  That is it I am done with Lenovo

TonySt
Fanfold Paper
Views: 779
Message 4 of 4

These devices come per default with a long warranty period, so mine was replaced at no extra cost. The technician even came to my house to fix this on-site. No hassle, good service Lenovo!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors