Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

9 Posts

07-22-2019

United States of America

37 Signins

224 Page Views

• Views: 224
  • Message 1 of 4

x1 yoga 3rd gen, Touchscreen and pen x1y3

2019-07-22, 8:20 AM
"Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)
To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer."

Hi,
I was new to Lenovo and Windows 10 a week ago. Since, I've logged some heavy hours (50+? over 6 days) chasing this error, battery efficiencies, and achieved some level touchpoint mastery.  From the research I gathered this refurbished model might be a likely candidate for a RE-return. The touch screen did work at some point and then not and then did and now doesnt. Pardon the vagueries, but with the slew of automated updates from OEM and Windows, its hard to say whats the cause.  Is this part of my problem, am I suppose to only use Vantage for updates?

From what I recall, after reading countless posts for hours over the past few days, this can be entirely the fault of Lenovo's updater, Windows updater, malfunctioning screen/cables/chipset, or perhaps being pried loose by the hinging screen? That last idea is mostly due to the Hardware Disconnect error code 45, presented in the Device Manager.  Does opening the laptop void my warranty?

Theres a few epic 20 page threads here with similar issues. Do one of you got part of the solution?  Any idea which drivers are unsuitable for touchscreens or known stable driver sets?  After a converstation with tech support tomorrow, I'll likely be restoring.... or is it called "fresh start" now....or reset...or recovery, or previous version...ffs.
-thx
Options

9 Posts

07-22-2019

United States of America

37 Signins

224 Page Views

• Message 2 of 4

Re: x1 yoga 3rd gen, Touchscreen and pen x1y3

2019-07-22, 23:34 PM

The next morning, after an hour on hold waiting for an available support tech.  We shared an hour long conversation (15 replies) and was abandoned while reading in another tab for less than five minutes.  They had a one new idea, speaking to a "business partner", since this was likely a cable issue.  He also mentioned downloading recovery media and wouldnt answer why i cannot use the built in partition.  Also wouldnt tell me the difference between his method and the built in Windows features, restore, recovery, and reset.  Looks like downloading software might cost $$.

Later on the phone, support tells me I need to upgrade to a "Software Warranty" @ $100+, although this 7 day old refurb may have hardware problems covered under warranty.

this might be useful to some.
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-S-Series-ThinkPad-Yoga/Lenovo-Systems-That-Support-Pens/ta-p/3295823

Options

9 Posts

07-22-2019

United States of America

37 Signins

224 Page Views

• Message 3 of 4

2019-07-26, 21:48 PM

Thank self, for all ur advice.

Since we last spoke it was determined factory resets and reinstalls were of no value aside from the intial chat support conclusion, which was a hardware malfunction.  Effectively impacting my '19 summer vacation, a possible job opportunity,  and a week or so of troubleshooting.

Trusted the refurb/company.  Thanks for your views.

Options

9 Posts

07-22-2019

United States of America

37 Signins

224 Page Views

• Message 4 of 4

2019-07-28, 8:35 AM

Now that the refurb is off to be refurbed, even the product tracking service gives me errors. That one might not be on Lenovo, but...

Moderator comment: Post edited to conform with the Community Rules. Keep it clean.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)