Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
myusrn
Serial Port
Views: 2,236
Message 1 of 10

x1 yoga 3rd gen hdr display hardware presence and configuration

How do you tell on an x1 yoga 3rd gen if the hdr display hardware is present and if so how is it configured?

I ask because i have a new x1 yoga 3rd gen i7-8650u device running current windows 10 rs5 insider slow [ 17713.1002 ] install and in dxdiag.exe | display | device panel there is a line item that says "HDR: Not Supported" but in all settings | system | display there is a "Windows HD color settings" option and if i click it under "Display capabilities" section it says "Play HDR games and apps   No" and then just below that it says "Stream HDR Video" and that is set to On.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 2,224
Message 2 of 10

Re: x1 yoga 3rd gen hdr display hardware presence and configuration

Hi myusrn,

To see which display your ThinkPad was configured with, do a Parts Lookup by serial number.

To use Dolby Vision you need the Dolby Vision app and at least display INF file 6.7.0.0. The requirements are described in Lenovo Vantage - Hardware Settings > Dolby Vision > Learn more. That's another way to tell if you have the Dolby Vision display - the App won't install.

Hope this helps!

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
myusrn
Serial Port
Views: 2,211
Message 3 of 10

Thanks for the repsponse. 

I've been directed to the parts lookup page before for other matters and find that when you enter a serial number the results that come back are very complicated and not a high level review of what is installed but rather individually every part of the machine.  Not sure if there is a way of viewing things on that page where it just highlights the configuratable options, e.g. cpu, memory, ssd, display, color.

I installed the Dolby Vision microsoft store app and when i launch it the only thing i see is "Picture Mode" with "Dolby Vision Dark/Bright/Vivid" drop down options.  Switching between them doesn't make a difference, when i'm docked as expected and likewise when i'm undocked where i would expect change.  I might have expected it to throw an error when you try and use it on a non-HDR display or an HDR display without the required 6.7.0.0 or newer monitor driver, mine has 6.9.0.0 6/14/2018 driver in place.

I'm not willing to install lenovo vantage store app as it installs things, e.g. the lenovo vantage toolbar, that it does not remove upon uninstall and only repaving will get ride of.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 2,198
Message 4 of 10

The Dolby Vision app is working, so you have the HDR display.

What Dolby vision content are you viewing? You should see a Dolby Vision logo appear then fade away when Dolby Vision content starts playing. The only apps I'm aware of which currently play in Dolby Vision are Edge, Windows Movie &TV, and Netflix (this is explained in Lenovo Vantage). Switching between the Dark/Bright/Vivid modes should definitely make a difference when you are playing Dolby Vision content.

On the other subject of the Lenovo Vantage uninstaller leaving things behind, can you start another thread on this subject please, and be more specific?

Hope this helps!

myusrn
Serial Port
Views: 2,186
Message 5 of 10

Well this is a real surprise if i have an hdr display because the x1 yoga 3rd gen i7-8650 i recieved has the cellular wan card in it.  My understanding was that if you got the hdr / 500nit display model you couldn't get the cellular wwan card or the IR/windows hello camera.

In otherwords you can only have one of these configuration optoins on a given x1 yoga 3rd gen and given my devmgmt.msc view shows a fibocom L850-GL wwan card in my network adapters section then assumption was that my monitors | wide viewing angle & high density flexview display was not going to be an hdr capable model.

Note that when the device is docked and i'm operating off of miniDisplayPort attached dell u3417w34" ultrwide uwqhd 3440x1440 display the dolby vision app opertes as well.  My thinking is if its expected that app won't start or behave when using a non-hdr display then in theory it should fail to launch or behave nicely when i'm operated for thunderbolt 3 docking station attached external display.

I don't have any dolby vision specific content to view.  If there is an appropriate sample somewhere i give it whirl.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 2,175
Message 6 of 10

Here is some free content to test with:

http://4kmedia.org/lg-amaze-dolby-vision-uhd-4k-demo/

http://4kmedia.org/lg-earth-dolby-vision-uhd-4k-demo/

Please go to Parts Lookup and post the part number of your LCD here.

myusrn
Serial Port
Views: 2,163
Message 7 of 10

Thanks for the sample dolby vision uhd sample files to test with.

When i open those .ts files with the "Movies & TV" app while my x1 yoga 3rd gen is while it is undocked and using built in display it generates a dialog stating "Missing codec | This item was encoded in a format that's not supported.  | OxcOOd5212  | Send feedback  | Close".  When i close that dialog the content plays with a black screen and only the audio track playing back.  I get the same result if i try playback using my external uwqhd 3440x1440 display connected using thinkpad thunderbolt 3 dock.

When i visit https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/partslookup and enter my x1 yoga 3rd gen serial number and then do a find on that parts list page for "lcd" hits the first result is for a lcd assemblies entry says "description = 4QHD300,HD BZL,LBO+LGD,AES2 | part = 01YT246 | mfg part = SBB0N10866".   If i enter the part and the mfg part numbers the "parts & accessories" search box on that page it just returns a view of that item only with the same description and part number details.

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 2,144
Message 8 of 10

That part number is for a 300 nit display. The HDR display is 500 nit (14QHD500,HD BZL,LB). So that display will not support Dolby Vision. Not sure why the app is acting like it should.

myusrn
Serial Port
Views: 2,141
Message 9 of 10

Thanks for response and clarification. Yeah the 300 in the part number had me thinking that confirmed i have the standard issue 14" wqhd 300nit brightness capability display as well.

q1. So if i was to return/exchange my recent purchase of x1 yoga 3rd gen i7-8650u wqhd 300nit display w/ fibocom wwan card configuration for the configuration with hdr wqhd 500nit display what would i expect when i play those videos, e.g. is it that they are able to be played back and do so with a perceived quality greater than what the built-in displays native 2560x1440 resolution would be otherwise capable of?

q2. Would one only expect to notice a difference when playing dolby vision uhd 4k videos or is there also a difference when playing back regular fhd/1920x1080 and uhd/4k/3840x2160 streaming video content?   

q3.  Is "dobly vision uhd 4k" a synonym for hdr?

q4.  Is the 500nit brightness capability of the hdr display orthogonal to its ability to display hdr video content?  

q5.  If i bought an hdr capable desktop display and attached it to the x1 yoga i have via a thunderbolt 3 dock connection would it be expected to be capable of hdr rendering of uhd/4k video content?  In other words is the hdr rendering capability a function of the gpu, intel uhd graphics 620 in this case, and the display you are driving with that gpu?

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 2,138
Message 10 of 10

Answers embedded:

@myusrn wrote:

Thanks for response and clarification. Yeah the 300 in the part number had me thinking that confirmed i have the standard issue 14" wqhd 300nit brightness capability display as well.

q1. So if i was to return/exchange my recent purchase of x1 yoga 3rd gen i7-8650u wqhd 300nit display w/ fibocom wwan card configuration for the configuration with hdr wqhd 500nit display what would i expect when i play those videos, e.g. is it that they are able to be played back and do so with a perceived quality greater than what the built-in displays native 2560x1440 resolution would be otherwise capable of?

Yes.

q2. Would one only expect to notice a difference when playing dolby vision uhd 4k videos or is there also a difference when playing back regular fhd/1920x1080 and uhd/4k/3840x2160 streaming video content?   

There's also a difference when playing back regular fhd/1920x1080 and uhd/4k/3840x2160 streaming video content, because the 500 nit display is brighter.

q3.  Is "dobly vision uhd 4k" a synonym for hdr?

HDR is an acronym for the English language phrase "High Dynamic Range". It has many definitions, all the way from tight technical definitions to just what the words say in English. Dolby Vision is Dolby Lab's HDR format.

q4.  Is the 500nit brightness capability of the hdr display orthogonal to its ability to display hdr video content?  

The 500 nits is instrumental to its ability to display Dolby Vision.

q5.  If i bought an hdr capable desktop display and attached it to the x1 yoga i have via a thunderbolt 3 dock connection would it be expected to be capable of hdr rendering of uhd/4k video content?  In other words is the hdr rendering capability a function of the gpu, intel uhd graphics 620 in this case, and the display you are driving with that gpu?

It seems like that would be the case but I have no experience with that. Perhaps some other community members do...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors