Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

3 Posts

11-09-2011

Canada

7 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 1 of 5

x120e multitude of problems.

2011-11-09, 19:22 PM

Hi this is my frist time posting here.

I did some checking I did find topics that relate topic this but I need specific advice for my situation.  I purchased this x120e ThinkPad last march and  I am still covered by warranty and I am considering to call lenovo to resolve the issues below.

First off, I noticed that my laptop is running at a very high temperature; Unblocked vents/intake on a flat table. I can get the cpu temperature to float around 98C when i'm Playing WoW. I've read that the maximum temperature recommended is supposed to be 90C. The fan is functioning and can feel warm air coming out, but the bottom is noticeably hot. I am using TPFanControl to measure these temperatures. Should I consider this to be a defect or malfunctioning part?

Second, since day one .My upper right usb slot  (the one closest to the screen hinge) is missing the middle piece of protected plastic. The pin are there and they still work, but I'm worried that they can easily be bent and break. Secondly I noticed this slot doesn't alight properly with the body. the metal socket of the usb port is slightly elevated not by much, but it is enough that I am required to insert usb on an upward angle to get them to "fit". I didn't want to send my ThinkPad when I got it because it was my new toy (hard to part with), but now with other issues, I would like to have this fixed. Is this claimable? it came shipped to me in this condition.

Third, occasionally my laptop seems to go into hibernate mode plugged in or not. I know that it is not due to the battery's charge level, as giving to me by the Lenovo PM. Is there something I am unaware of.

Thank you in advance if help me out.

Regards,

David

Options

88 Posts

03-11-2011

USA

1314 Signins

2332 Page Views

• Views: 2332
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: x120e multitude of problems.

2011-11-09, 21:20 PM
If you're using TPFanControl, then if you set it to 7 manually, does it still hit 98C? I know that if you don't edit the configuration files it will take the highest temp to base it's decision on, and sometimes you'll get something other than the cpu or crd that'll screw everything up. I've had it pull in a x7f @ 127C that had the fan on slow and ramped up the cpu temp, so be careful about it.

For the USB port, just send it in. No point risking that, and you might get a new motherboard out of it, if not just whatever part it's connected to. Should have done it earlier, but there's no reason for them to reject your claim other than gross incompetence.

As for hibernation mode, I've had that happen to me once. I think it had to do with the battery suddenly responding as if it had no charge along with not having an AC adapter plugged in (which one was). Not sure why, but something in the power circuit decided not to respond properly, but if you can isolate the how, you can probably get Lenovo to fix it for you.
Options

3 Posts

11-09-2011

Canada

7 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 3 of 5

2011-11-09, 22:05 PM

Hey thanks for your input.

I am looking at CRD and CPU, i'm 100% it's them.

Been on Man 7 for 20 minutes I think it dipped to 96 but yeah... thats as low as it went.

Yeah it'll be hard to isolate the battery other than asking for them to test/replace it.

Options

231 Posts

11-02-2011

boston

143 Signins

1038 Page Views

• Views: 1038
  • Message 4 of 5

2011-11-11, 4:36 AM
can you do a screen shot mayby cpu id and also with there hw that list temps.
on my B575 same cpu it runs cooler then my eeepc 1001 with a signlecore n450.
alot less heat of the exhaust too.
i also used brazos tweeker a very nice program that lowers the cpu voltage.
alot of the brazos users use it and swear by it.
i updated to 11.8 on the graphic driver.
i disable hiber,i also run the c drive uncompressed.
i run a ssd as well samsung 830 i like the E-350 it a great little thing and wow is said to work well on it.
dont know i use a ps3 for fun time.
the x120 got great reviews but the fan was alittle loud.
mine is not it flawless.
very happy excpt on the chipset the x120e i think has a A50m sata 3 i dont for some uncertin reason.

make sure the AMD drivers are up to date.
i went to amd site i also set up the power plan myself in windows.
i also setup a G 575 nice layout on the trap door but fan was loud kinda.
i am really looking at the x120e for travel but i might wait and see what khrisa brings with amd.
try the brazos tweeker it works it safe and just read the directions and go go overboard.
Options

12 Posts

10-25-2011

USA

15 Signins

228 Page Views

• Views: 228
  • Message 5 of 5

2011-11-21, 3:14 AM

I was having your hibernation issue, and was recommended on these forums to get rid of TPFanControl. I haven't had any problems with the computer randomly hibernating since, so it must be some kind of incompatibility with the hardware and the way TPFanControl operates.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)