Options

11 Posts

11-12-2008

USA

16 Signins

91 Page Views

• Views: 91
  • Message 1 of 3

x120e / x100e imaging issue - One image for BIOS and UEFI?

2011-06-28, 2:59 AM

Is there a way to have a common image that will boot on either BIOS or UEFI?

I have 10 netbooks that are going to be used for a loaner program and are going to be wiped frequently.

The goal is to have one image and use it on both, I have upgraded the x100e to 4GB of RAM.

So far so good and I can boot fine, do the relevant maintenance and get an image with ImageX or Backup and Restore. I have used Ghost and Acronis in the past but I don't have them handy so I thought about trying something new.

I got the image from the first x100 and I was not able to deploy it properly to the x120, the system would not boot not matter what and the recovery tools did NOT like the machine. It is frustrating to wait for the DVDs to boot and then see that restart is the only thing you can do. I am convinced that it is firmware related. Then I did a clean install on the x120 so Windows created the 100MB EFI partition and the standard C:\ and then I formated C: and deployed the image with ImageX. This worked.

I did some more updates and then I am trying to find a way to use image from the x120 to the x100.

It seems that Windows likes to keep some files on the EFI partition but that is not available on the x100 so is there a better way?

Can I leave a "redundant" Boot folder that would be used only as needed (when the image is deployed on the x120)?

I tried forcing Legacy for the UEFI and that did not do a thing.

Any feedback is welcome.

Options

11 Posts

11-12-2008

USA

16 Signins

91 Page Views

• Views: 91
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: x120e / x100e imaging issue - One image for BIOS and UEFI?

2011-06-28, 3:23 AM
I might have found something: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/windowsbackup/thread/55742bfc-3392-485a-9ce1-204b3b55050f/ and http://www.symantec.com/connect/forums/ghost-solution-suite-and-uefi-computers
Options

34 Posts

03-15-2011

Seattle, WA

773 Signins

5446 Page Views

• Views: 5446
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: x120e / x100e imaging issue - One image for BIOS and UEFI?

2011-06-28, 6:39 AM

Here's what I've learned from doing lots of deployments at work:

• Don't bother with uEFI. Just disable it and stick with legacy BIOS booting. The only real advantage uEFI offers end users is the ability to boot Windows from a >2TB partition.

• A Windows 7 clean install will always create a 100MB partition to store the boot loader stuff, regardless of whether you're booting EFI or BIOS. (Side note: when I use Windows Deployment Services to deploy a WIM, one of the steps in the first phase of Windows setup is to prepare the hard drive. If there is an existing partition, I'll delete it, then either create a new one of a particular size, or do nothing and click "next." In either case, WinPE will create that 100MB partition and the C: partition. The 100MB partition is not part of the WIM; it's created before dynamically before deployment.)

• Once you sysprep and capture the C: drive with ImageX, the WIM should be deployable on virtually any machine.

Since I use WDS and do my deployments using PXE boot, I've never had to make the WinPE bootable DVD from the Windows AIK. Is this what you're using? Does the WinPE DVD have a GUI for doing the capture and deployment, or do you have to use ImageX and make the partitions with diskpart? I need to try this out sometime :smileyhappy:

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete