Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marclang
Paper Tape
Views: 3,725
Message 21 of 31

Re: x200 Hardware Interrupts constantly at 40% of CPU resources

BTW, I just ended up re-installing my x200 from the provided pre-installation disks, which I believe is an x64 Vista Business with SP1. Directly after installation, Windows started to download a few megabytes of updates, and after a few reboots: Volia - the hardware interrupts are back again :-)

Anyway, so: not sure who is at fault here. My hardware? Some Lenovo driver? Some Windows update? This surely appears right off a fresh Lenovo pre-install image (x64 Vista Business), with only the "important" Windows updates installed (ok, I had Office 2007 installed as well).

PS: Oh, and by now the interrupts also seem to appear when not docked. So there goes my last idea of where this is coming from (i.e., it's obviously _not_ the docking station, nor the ethernet hardware, as I'm wireless when undocked).

Bummer...

rdhw
Punch Card
Views: 3,574
Message 22 of 31

I too have seen the 40% CPU in Interrupts, as sensed by Sysinternals ProcessExplorer.  This is on an X301 with Vista Ultimate, up-to-date with all Lenovo updates.

I tried disabling some devices, and established that it was not the WiFi card causing the problem.

The video driver is version 7.15.10.1556.  A later version is avilable from Intel, but it will not install on this hardware: maybe Lenovo make some customisations to the driver.

zerebratus
Fanfold Paper
Views: 3,466
Message 23 of 31

To install the Intel driver you first have to deinstall the Lenovo driver (Check the "delete the driver software of this device" checkbox (maybe sound different, I'm using a german Vista)).

I have installed the 7.15.10.1659 driver version (but a more recent may be available at intel's driver page) and experienced no more 40% CPU usage (hardware interrupts)

boim
Paper Tape
Views: 3,310
Message 24 of 31

hi all, i have the same problem.

did some one managed to fix it??

france
Serial Port
Views: 3,211
Message 25 of 31

I had the same problem, where my 2-core X61s was having near 50% CPU utilization due to Hardware Interrupts.  After reading around, I did some debugging using krview, found that most of it was due to ntkrnlpa process, NtBuildNumber and RtlIpv6StringToAddressA modules, but that did not help figure out the cause.

After exhausting debugging options, I went with the hunch and did carpet-bombing by uninstalling my display drivers, IDE ATA/ATAPI controller drivers and Monitor drivers.  After rebooting, the problem went away!  Since Intel chipset was not recognized, I had to manually download and install from Lenovo site several Display/Video drivers afterwards:

- Intel (GL960, GM965) Display Driver

- ThinkPad Monitor INF File

I also downloaded and installed "Disabling tool for Intel Turbo Memory Driver", since my PCI Memory device was showing up with a red sign.

No problems so far, everything is working.

boim
Paper Tape
Views: 3,207
Message 26 of 31

is it the same video driver you had previously?

also, did you install a driver for the ATA/ATAPI? maybe it was that and not the video driver

greggebhardt
Serial Port
Views: 3,191
Message 27 of 31

HArdware interupts?

Not sure but all three off my X301s have at time few second delay, at time, when using the keyboard.  The touchpad all of a sudden goes dead and then comes back just as quickly.  It is like the laptop is busy doing something else and then get back to allowing user input.

Hope someone comes up with an answer

MikeSL
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,475
Message 28 of 31

This isn't a specific fix for this specific issue, but I've found with a very similar "excessive hardware interrupts" scenario I experienced over the past few months (Windows XP, Thinkpad T61) that:

1. There was ample evidence in the output of the KrView.exe tool (KernRate from Microsoft) that these issues were caused by drivers that were responding to (or firing off) APIs with names like "AddDevice()", and that the vast majority of the unnecessary/excessive/CPU-consuming interrupts were directly related to these API calls.  (Note: KernRate is likely not supported on Windows Vista - at the very least, Microsoft strongly encourages those with Vista/Server 2008 or later to use the Windows Performance Analysis Tools in place of KernRate.  I have no experience using these tools, and cannot guess whether they provide similar detailed kernel tracing capabilities, but I surely hope so.)
  2. Disabling the "Intel(R) Management Engine Interface" helped reduce the number of occasions of this problem.
  3. Upgrading the "Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family" driver to the latest (v6.14.10.5029) finally stopped the last remaining case of these excessive Hardware Interrupts from occurring.
My conclusion?  This is not an uncommon type of API call for a driver to make/respond to - since many device drivers, such as multi-output video adapters and other hardware-controlling devices are trying to emulate the Windows "plug and play" behaviour.  Thus, it's likely there are many potential sources of these "excessive Hardware Interrupts", and addressing each potential troublesome driver is the only way to drive *all* the sources of the error to ground.  Thankfully I don't seem to *need* the Intel ME Interface driver for my computer to operate, and thankfully there was a recently-released version of the 965 video driver that didn't have the issue.  YMMV, and it's a long road to travel (I spent at least two months obsessively pursuing this issue), but I suspect there almost always *are* solutions, if you're patient and persistent enough.
Highlighted
tahereh
What's DOS?
Views: 2,124
Message 29 of 31

k me 2Re: x200 Hardware Interrupts constantly at 40% of CPU resources

I had the same problem. It  took me about 2 months to figure out whats wrong and finally................................................ I FOUND THE CURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All you have to do is to disable the "biometric device" and everything goes back to normal.

Sirreel
Paper Tape
Views: 1,226
Message 30 of 31

Re: k me 2Re: x200 Hardware Interrupts constantly at 40% of CPU resources

Remove the IDE controller in Device Manager and reboot. Then run chkdsk c: /f /r, it will schedule chkdsk to run at next boot. Reboot and the problem should be gone for good.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors