Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
drappleyea
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,058
Message 1 of 3

x200/x201: Slow Application of WIM Using ImageX

When attempting to apply a WIM to our x200s and x201s it will take upwards of 2-3+ hours. All disk activity stops when it reaches certian percentages of completion. I have tried injecting an updated NIC driver into the boot.wim with no success. The same WIM applies in >20 minutes on all other models.

We are using WinPE 2.1 with Altiris 6.9. Our x200s, x201s, and x220s (not sure if these are an issue yet) all have SSD. Is it a matter of updating the boot.wim with the latest SSD drivers?

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 1,045
Message 2 of 3

Re: x200/x201: Slow Application of WIM Using ImageX

WinPE 2.1 is pretty old - have you considered trying 3.x just as an experiment?

I don't think the AHCI driver should matter, but check in BIOS F1 setup to make sure you are using SATA ACHI mode (and not compatibility mode).  This option is on the config screen.

Are you using latest BIOS version?

Another thing you could try is to start with a clean WIM and then add in drivers and software, one at a time, until you find the one that causes the delays.

Just some ideas of things to check.  Sorry I don't know the answer to your question, but we use imageX in our own factories to apply preloads and if there was something unique about some models taking 3 hours instead of 20 minutes, the factories would be screaming about it.

drappleyea
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,043
Message 3 of 3

Re: x200/x201: Slow Application of WIM Using ImageX

Yeah, WinPE 2.1 is the latest "supported" by the Altiris 6.9 dagent, since it is at end-of-life. We have to use the Vista drivers in our WinPE WIM.

AHCI is set and it doesn't matter the BIOS revision used. I have even updated the SSD firmware with no success.

I am very familiar with ImageX/WinPE as I was running SCCM and WDS in the recent past. I am pretty sure it has something to do with one of the drivers in the WinPE boot.wim either being out of date or corrupt.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors