Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sgtrobo
Paper Tape
Views: 10,361
Message 1 of 12

x220 - 2100:Detection Error on HDD0 // PXE-E61:Media test failure,check cable

I have an x220i type 4286 with a standard 320GB mechanical hard drive. I ordered it in 2011, and it has been an absolute marvel for me for the 2 years that I've had it, then out of nowhere, I got the error message you see in the subject above, "2100: Detection error on HDD0" then when I go with the "Hit ESC to continue" I end up getting the PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable" error message pops up.

I removed the keyboard to get a look and everything...ehh..."looks" ok, the ribbon cable doesn't look torn or anything, and nothing in the back of the HDD looks wrong.  I removed the HDD to see if excessive dust was in there and it seemed ok, and I reseated it carefully, and it looked proper.  

So I'm kind atorn as to what I should do now. I don't think I have another external HDD that will work to test, but apparently this is a common issue or something?  It seems a lot of folks have issues with the SSD but mine is just a plain-jane mechanical HDD.

help?  Please?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 10,337
Message 2 of 12

Re: x220 - 2100:Detection Error on HDD0 // PXE-E61:Media test failure,check cable

Hi,

Most likely your HDD has failed Smiley Sad  Can you connect it to some other machine via sata/USB adapter or direct to a desktop and see if it's accessible.

The PXE/media... error message is your laptop attempting to boot via the network since it can't boot the HDD.  You can ignore that.  All it means is that the boot devices earlier in the boot order list weren't bootable.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

sgtrobo
Paper Tape
Views: 10,312
Message 3 of 12

Re: x220 - 2100:Detection Error on HDD0 // PXE-E61:Media test failure,check cable

so should I get an enclosure of some sort that connects via USB? Not sure what to look for to make sure it is the right type.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 10,297
Message 4 of 12

There are many ways to make this connection.  What you use depends on whether this is a one-time-only test or maybe something you could use on an ongoing basis.

I've used the IDE/SATA to USB combo adapters that include a power supply and the cable-only devices that are powered via USB.  Full enclosures can also be used but there's not much point unless you intend to make it into an external HDD.

Here's a link to a NewEgg search that gives you a bunch of adapter options

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100019422&IsNodeId=1&Description=usb%20s...

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

sgtrobo
Paper Tape
Views: 10,286
Message 5 of 12

zoltan, thanks for the response.  I have one like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-2-5-Inch-Aluminum-Enclosure-EC-TB4P/dp/B005EIGUD4/ref=pd_cp_pc_2

that I can grab locally.  would that do the trick?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 10,279
Message 6 of 12

According to the ltwbook  (ThinkPad Notebooks; 2005 to present (withdrawn models)) the X220 uses a 7mm thick drive.

You could probably plug it into that enclosure for a test but it would be loose fit.  Maybe not so good for long term use without some kind of modification or spacers.  Or it might be just fine.

Here's an example that lists 7, 9.5, and 12.5mm compatibility:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817366040

Z.

sgtrobo
Paper Tape
Views: 10,260
Message 7 of 12

ok, so I ended up getting this enclosure:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dynex%26%23153%3B---2.5%26%2334%3B-Serial-ATA-Hard-Drive-Enclosure---Bla...

When I plug it in, I get the Windows 7 "ta-da!" beep that you get when you plug any USB device in. Under Device Manager, it pops up as a USB Mass Storage Device with a yellow exclamation point, and under the Properties it reads, "Device Status: This device cannot start. (Code 10)"

In Control Panel - All Control Panel Items - Devices and Printers it shows up under "Unspecified" as "USB Mass Storage Device (Category: Unknown)"

Initially, I get the little blue "activity" light on the enclosure, but eventually that poops out as well. I have tried every USB port on my main system to see if the HDD would be recognized, ones that I know for a fact work and provide power. Not real sure what to do now.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 10,240
Message 8 of 12

To be clear: you're doing this with the suspect HDD installed in that USB enclosure?

You could double check its status in DIsk Management but it sure looks like a dead HDD Smiley Sad

Z.

sgtrobo
Paper Tape
Views: 10,218
Message 9 of 12

yes sir.  Disk Management doesn't even see it.  The drive itself won't start up. My (wild) guess is that there is a mechanical issue with the drive 

So it's time for me to pick up a replacement drive and pray like mad that's all it is.  Looking pretty hard at this one:

Seagate Momentus

as well as this one:

Hitachi Travelstar

I would much rather purchase an SSD but I can't justify what amounts to a 3-4x price increase for it considering how small the capacities are. 

From everything I read, the above 2 seem to be the 'best choices' and will fit the 7mm/2.5"/SATA specs.  Unless I can find any other info about either (or a different drive that is a better choice) I'll be buying it within the day to get this ball rolling again.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 10,146
Message 10 of 12

Hello,

I would be inclined to go with the Seagate model as it is new and not refurbished like the Hitachi drive.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

I am a volunteer and neither a Lenovo nor a Microsoft employee.

L380 YogaP50 (20EN-*)S230u (3347-4HU)T23 (2648-LU7)T42 (2378-R4U)T43p (2678-H7U)T61p (6459-CTO)W510 (4318-CTO)W530 (2441-4R3)W530 (2441-4R3)X100e (3508-CTO)X120e (0596-CTO)X220 (4286-CTO)X250 (20CM-*)Yoga 370

de.gif Deutsche Community es.gif Comunidad en Español ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество pt.gif Communidade Portugues

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors