cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Andy_C
Punch Card
Views: 1,083
Message 1 of 6

x220 BIOS update failure - Lenovo Japan cannot provide warranty support?

Hi,

Yesterday I apparently made a very costly error!

On reading the changes associated with BIOS 1.21 for the x220 (improved system performance and boot time) I clicked yes and installed the update through System Update.

After auto-rebooting to complete the flash, the system hung on shutdown for more than 5 minutes. Two hard resets later (to escape the same problem) and a standby request (Fn+F4) triggered the first blue screen I have seen on this machine.

Since then, the laptop will not boot. The power light/thinklight turn on, as well as the speaker mute and mic mute buttons, but nothing else happens except the quiet whirr of the cooling fan. The screen has remained black ever since, as has my mood. Removing the RAM and SSD gave some beeps, but otherwise nada.

Today I called the Lenovo support in Japan and had no problem finding out, to my horror, that Lenovo wants more than 50% of the laptop cost to replace the motherboard. They said that this repair is in the same category as a water damage repair and that they will not cover it under warranty.

I am saddened by this since I clicked on an update recommended by Lenovo through Lenovo's System Update software, I did not carelessly tip coffee into the machine. At no point did I see a warning saying that a failed BIOS update is not covered by the warranty, nor can I find this in the US warranty terms. Perhaps things are different here in Japan?

Any advice, suggestions, or even commiserations, would be greatly appreciated.

Andy

Former Employee
Views: 1,060
Message 2 of 6

Re: x220 BIOS update failure - Lenovo Japan cannot provide warranty support?

@Andy_C,

Sorry to hear that the machine bricked. I will try to escalate this to the Japan's customer relations team for their assistance on it. Appreciate if you can drop me a private message on this.

Name:
Mobile:
Email:
S/N:
Model Type:
Date of Purchase:

//JameZ
Highlighted
Guru
Views: 1,049
Message 3 of 6

Maybe you've forgotten to initialize the BIOS after its update:

Initializing UEFI BIOS

Note:
After initialization you may need to reapply some settings that you had changed previously.

UEFI BIOS Initialization is suggested for some problems. To initialize the UEFI BIOS settings:

1. Turn off the computer.
  2. Turn on the computer.
  3. While the "To interrupt normal startup, press the blue ThinkVantage button" message is displayed at the lower-left area of the screen, press the F1 key.
    The ThinkPad Setup menu will be displayed. If a password prompt appears, type the correct password.
  4. Press the F9 key to load default configuration.
  5. Select Yes.
  6. Press the F10 key to save default configuration and exit.
  7. Select Yes.
  8. Restart the computer.

/quote

If you're in luck the notebook starts up after

• plug off the power supply
  • remove the battery (perhaps also the BIOS-battery)
  • push power button for 30 secs
  • attach battery and power supply
  • turn on.

If it starts, go into the BIOS and initialize it as described above.

--------------------------------
My home-forum: http://www.thinkpad-forum.de
Wiki: Deutsches ThinkPad-Wiki English ThinkWiki
My ThinkPad-Collection
Coffee must be like women's eyes: deep black & shiny. ThinkPads have to be like men's feet: deep black & matte!
Andy_C
Punch Card
Views: 991
Message 4 of 6

Thanks for your suggestions, but I fear that this machine is deeply bricked.

I tried the following your second set of instructions quoted below (including disconnecting the BIOS battery), but I did not seen anything on the screen at anytime.

I am currently waiting for a call from Lenovo Japan following JameZ's kind intervention on my behalf.

If you're in luck the notebook starts up after

• plug off the power supply
  • remove the battery (perhaps also the BIOS-battery)
  • push power button for 30 secs
  • attach battery and power supply
  • turn on.

If it starts, go into the BIOS and initialize it as described above.

.quote

Andy_C
Punch Card
Views: 784
Message 5 of 6

Hi All,

Just as a quick follow-up to this issue, despite numerous offers of help to escalate this issue, nothing was done to help. The Lenovo staff here are not to blame though, this was a local policy issue.

Lenovo Japan wanted between 65,000-75,000 yen (way more than half of the laptop cost) to replace the motherboard. A very unreasonable amount considering that this was a BIOS update recommnended through Lenovo's own System Update software. They said that a failed BIOS updated fell into the same category as "water damage". (What?)

Indeed, one of the more recent entries in the BIOS changelog for the x220 includes the following telling information:

<1.25-1.13>
UEFI: 1.25 / ECP:1.13
- (Fix) Fixed an issue where SATA BIOS might return timeout error with SATA compatibility mode.
- (Fix) Fixed an issue where updating BIOS might not be completed if it is excuted after resume.

After being a long time customer of both IBM and now Lenovo (more than 10 ThinkPads), I believe that sadly this will be the last machine I will be purchasing.

The good news is that my x220 lives on. I purchased a new motherboard for a fraction of what Lenovo was planning to charge me and fitted it myself.

Potential buyers should be wary of restrictive warranty policies and poor quality control of BIOS updates if you are in Japan or possibly anywhere else in Asia!

Guru
Views: 780
Message 6 of 6

That sucks Andy, that you never got them to replace it...

I suppose if you didn't tell them you updated the BIOS and it failed, they would have replaced it, because they wouldn't know what the cause was.
---------------------
| X220 i7-2620M | 12.5" HD IPS | Intel 180GB SSD | Crucial 480GB mSATA SSD | 8GB DDR3 | Intel 7260 AC |
| X260 i7-6600U | 12.5" FHD IPS | Samsung 860Pro 512GB SSD | 16GB DDR4 | Intel 8260 AC |

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors