Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
adalbert68
Token Ring
Views: 3,701
Message 1 of 51

x220 dead after BIOS update

I've made tha fresh system WIN7 instalation for X220 with the drivers update. Unfortunately, during the BIOS update the WIN update made the laptop restart and it failed something. After the laptop turned off it didn't start. Only the led on the power key leds, buy it doesnt want to start any more. I've taken off the power with the motherboard battery with no effect Smiley Sad.

What can I do start the laptop?

Guru
Guru
Views: 3,640
Message 2 of 51

Re: x220 dead after BIOS update

You have to replace the BIOS chip on the motherboard, but I don't know if these are soldered or not. But apparently here is one on eBay, so I assume they are not soldered: http://www.ebay.com/itm/BIOS-Chip-IBM-LENOVO-THINKPAD-X220-/400580487162

If you are looking for an alternative to replacing the BIOS chip, then you have to replace the motherboard, which is way more expensive. In this case you have to contact Tech Support. But having a technician replace the motherboard outside warranty is pricy.

Replacing the BIOS chip is your best bet. If you are not a handy person or you don't have experience, order the BIOS chip and take your X220 and the BIOS chip to a computer store and have them replace it. Or call Tech Support and have them replace the motherboard.

If you are handy with computers, you could also repair your old BIOS chip by booting your X220 in a disassembled state with the new BIOS chip. Then when Windows has started you can remove the new BIOS chip and insert the old BIOS chip, then reflash the old BIOS chip. And then you have got a spare to sell. But again, you need to be very handy and very careful to do this, or you could end up killing your motherboard. I did this a few hundred times because I used to be a BIOS modder few years back when I still used to build high-end desktops.

Warm regards,
Jonas Hendrickx

Lenovo Insider - Windows Insider MVP

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Please read the Community Guidelines before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

Motorola   •IdeaPad   •ThinkPad   •Gaming   •ThinkCentre   •IdeaCentre   •Think Tablets   •Lenovo Tablets

Communities:    English English   Deutsche Deutsche    Español Español    Português Português    ru.gif Русскоязычное

adalbert68
Token Ring
Views: 3,629
Message 3 of 51

Jonas could you give me some more details about the replaceing the BIOS chipset. Becaus e I've never done it before (but I want to try). That BIOS which you indicate from ebay will fit all the X220 motherboards (I'm asking, because as I told I've no experience with that) ? And next question is, if I replace the chip, I'll have to start the laptop booting with CD with new BIOS? And if I do that, next thing is: to relpace the BIOS chip after my laptop started, I've to do that during the one is working? How to do that,  not to kill the motherboard?

And one more thing. I've got two more Lenovo X220 laprops  (but with the i5 procesor). Maybe it'd be possible to replace temporary the BIOS chip from the one in the place of the failed one for a while, to start the laptop, and then replace it back the way you (Jonas) told me before. Jonas please describe me how to do it in few simple words Smiley Happy

Puppy
Bit Torrent
Views: 3,623
Message 4 of 51

And one more advice, never do BIOS update via Windows. Always use the bootable CD image only. Also read the instructions regarding existing BIOS passwords and necessary removal before the BIOS update.

BTW I always use rule of "update to second recent BIOS version". Somehow I don't trust the most recent versions Smiley Happy

Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,580
Message 5 of 51

adalbert68,

please, specify: has laptop been powered off itself or did you do that?
In any case, try to perform BIOS/EC reset (one of the useful advice here):
unplug battery and AC adapter cable from the laptop, press and hold during 20...30 seconds power button, release, connect the parts, try to boot laptop.

If you'll not get a success I'd suggest to perform a BIOS reflash using native Phoenix/Insyde recovery capabilities of EFI shell.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Anniversary Edition. #Retro. Special. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное     Moto En

adalbert68
Token Ring
Views: 3,567
Message 6 of 51

I didn't shut off the laptop. I haven't even noticed exactly the moment it happend. The only thing I saw was, that during the Lenovo Utility made the BIOS update (I don't know exactly in which moment, because after it started I left the room, and after a while when I came back, I saw that the laptop is shuting down) ir shut down and when trying to start the led on the power button was flashing (also the wifi led flashed).

Could you give me some advices how to use native Phoenix/Insyde recovery capabilities of EFI shell?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,559
Message 7 of 51

yes, we'll discuss laptop recovery. And try to do that.

Did you perform BIOS reset?

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Communities:    English English    Deutsche Deutsche     Español Español     Portugues Portugues     Russian flag Русскоязычное     Moto En

adalbert68
Token Ring
Views: 3,553
Message 8 of 51

Yes I tried to reset the BIOS in few ways (I found some more advices in the net), but it didn't work.

Highlighted
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 3,540
Message 9 of 51

OK, let's try.

1. Prepare two flash drives (the most likely with activity LED), any size less then 4 gb, format one of them to fat32
2. open the folder on your x220 drive where the last flash process has started from, copy the file BIOS.BAK to one of the formatted flash drive and rename that one to BIOS.cap (the name is in CAPS, extension is in regular letters)
3. download .ISO image with x220 BIOS update utility for CD from the Lenovo site, prepare another bootable (!!!) drive or CD with content of .ISO (it's unreadable under Windows)
4. insert the 1st flash drive with BIOS.cap in usb 2.0 port, press and hold Fn+R, press and hold power button. When LED on the flash drive will begin to flash, release the keys. Laptop should boot from the on-drive BIOS
5. press F12 several times until standard boot menu appears
6. insert the drive with BIOS utility into another usb 2.0 port
7. choose that drive to boot
8. after reboot flash utility should start to reflash your laptop
9. at the end of the process laptop will be powered off

In this scenario an item #4 might differ because of there are several key combinations to force different laptop models with different BIOS types to boot from the external capsule

adalbert68
Token Ring
Views: 3,536
Message 10 of 51

OK, I'll try it tomorow, but for now please translate me one thing. I don't understand point #2. Do you mean the folder from its HDD? In which directory will I find the one?

Top Kudoed Authors