cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bleejean
Paper Tape
Views: 3,301
Message 1 of 7

x220 installing mSATA SSD causes Windows to fail to start!

Hello
I just bought a mydigitalssd 128GB mSATA ssd. After I installed it windows no longer starts. It posts and I can access the BIOS menu but after that it freezes on a black screen for a long time and then flashes a BSOD and restarts. While it is frozen the battery indicator light (next to the bluetooth light) gets stuck on (normally it flashes during boot up).
I have a day one pre-ordered x220 with the i7 processor. I updated to the 1.28 BIOS and nothing changed. Windows 7 x64 is installed on my primary drive (vertex 3 ssd). I only want to use the mSATA ssd for more storage. I don't want to install an operating system on it or anything. Right now it is not recognized in the BIOS menu.

Any ideas for something to try? Is there some BIOS settings that I need to change? Does this sound like the behaviour of a defective mSATA ssd (strange that it would only prevent windows from starting)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I need to figure this out quick since I may have to send the drive away for return. Thanks!
bleejean
Paper Tape
Views: 3,271
Message 2 of 7

Re: x220 installing mSATA SSD causes Windows to fail to start!

I have some new information that might help someone to understand my problem.

It turns out that the mydigitalssd is recognized in the BIOS menu. It is listed as "SATA SSD" (there is no brand name or anything so I didn't notice it). Does anyone else have this mSATA SSD? If so, what is it named in the BIOS menu?

When I start my computer it still freezes right when Windows should be starting. When I start it again it asks if I want to run Windows Error recovery. If I run it, it doesn't find any errors. After it ran though I used the advanced options and opened a command prompt. I was able to format the mSATA ssd, assign it a drive letter, etc.

This means that the ssd works and that my computer can see it yet it still prevents Windows from starting! (If I take it out, WIndows boots normally). This is really frustrating. Any ideas? Do I need some different drivers?

Also, when it freezes it flashes a BSOD before it restarts and I managed to take a picture so I could read the message. It is a Stop error (0x0000007B).

If anyone can be of any assistance, please reply. I live in Japan and I don't speak Japanese well enough to get help from a computer technician here.

bleejean
Paper Tape
Views: 3,245
Message 3 of 7

Still no replies but maybe if I keep posting updates it will make a solution click for someone or convince someone to take pity on me! Smiley Happy

I have a second problem that I believe is related and might actually help narrow down the root issue that I have. Today I noticed that if I try to start my computer on battery power, windows won't start (the same thing that happens when I have the mSATA SSD installed). This only happens on the non-original BIOS versions. When I use 1.11 it is fine. On other versions (I am using 1.28) it won't start without the ac adapter plugged in.

I finally had the idea to try starting windows in safe mode. When I do it freezes at CLASSPNP.SYS. This is what happens if I try to start my computer on battery power or if I try to start my computer with the mSATA SSD installed (whether on ac power or not).

I have tried everything I can think of such as updating drivers, uninstalling unused programs, and even cleaning the registry (registry mechanic) to no avail. Anyone encounter an error like this before? Does the fact that I encounter this error for 2 different reasons strike anyone as having an obvious cause that I seem to be missing?

Xevyn
Paper Tape
Views: 3,237
Message 4 of 7

I have the same drive in my X220 and had no issues at all.  I've even done a UEFI install of Windows without problems.

In my BIOS, the drive shows as SATA SSD so that looks correct.  It sounds like you may have a problem unrelated to the drive.  It's very strange that you cannot start the laptop without the AC adapter plugged in - maybe its a power issue?  

Do you still have the problem booting up on battery power if you remove the mSATA SSD?  I'd try that first to confirm that the mSATA isn't a factor...

EDIT:  Just noticed that you also have a Vertex 3 as well - is it possible that there may be a problem with this drive?  You may want to test with your original HD if you still have it as well...

bleejean
Paper Tape
Views: 3,227
Message 5 of 7

I also think that the problem is unrelated to the mSATA drive. I suspect it is either a driver issue, a hardware compatibility issue, or possibly a motherboard issue.

" It's very strange that you cannot start the laptop without the AC adapter plugged in - maybe its a power issue?"

The thing is that I only have this issue when I use 1.28 BIOS version (or any other new version). If I revert to the original version (1.11) then I can start the computer on battery power, no problem (which makes me doubt that there is a battery or power issue unless it is a software or driver issue)

"Do you still have the problem booting up on battery power if you remove the mSATA SSD?"

I have not found any condition under which windows will boot when the mSATA SSD is installed. However, if I take the mSATA SSD out it will boot on ac power (or if I revert to BIOS 1.11, it will boot under any conditions). This, and the fact that I can see the mSATA drive and format it, etc. through the recovery console command prompt makes me think the actual drive is fine. I even ran check disk on it and it was ok.

"Just noticed that you also have a Vertex 3 as well - is it possible that there may be a problem with this drive?  You may want to test with your original HD if you still have it as well..."

I guess it is possible but the problems that I am having don't seem to be related to the vertex drive to me. I still have the original HD but it doesn't have windows on it anymore. Check disk says the vertex is fine.

One more thing that I maybe should of mentioned is that I have an eGPU. I have nvidia graphic drivers installed and a 560GTX-Ti card through my expresscard slot. I have tried everything both with and without the graphic card attached and there isn't any difference. Still it adds another component to the mix unfortunately.

Thanks for your reply and please let me know if you have any more suggestions!

snapsnap
Paper Tape
Views: 2,281
Message 6 of 7

I have the same problem.

Installed Plextor 256GB msata for additional storage, on initial startup everything was fine, drive recoginzed so proceeded with partition and format.

Next day windows won't load, just a black screen but I can access bios.

Processor is intel i7

o/s is windows 7 professional 64bit

HD is intel 160GB ssd

Any help would be much appreciated!

snapsnap
Paper Tape
Views: 2,274
Message 7 of 7

Solved the problem by changing the boot order - msata was ahead of ssd by default.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors