Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bleejean
Paper Tape
Views: 768
Message 1 of 4

x220 won't start up on battery power after BIOS update 1.24/1.25

This is a really strange issue.

I had been using my laptop with the oriiginal 1.10 (or whatever the very first one was) BIOS until yesterday with no problems. I head that there were some important fixes in the newer BIOS versions so I updated to 1.25. Everything seemed to be working fine until I went to work and turned on my laptop. It kept  crashing before Windows would load (after the post screen but before any of the windows screens. It just stays black for a long time and then flashes a BSOD and restarts). I tried downgrading to BIOS 1.24 but the problem persisted.

It turns out that it does this whenever I try to start the computer without it plugged into the ac adaptor. When it is plugged in it starts up as normal but when unplugged it won't boot into windows. Once Windows is loaded I can unplug it and nothing happens but I still can't restart it without plugging it back in

Has anyone else encountered this problem? Is this a known issue? Any suggestions for what could be causing this strange behaviour?
If I can't get it figured out right away I will have to try to downgrade to the original BIOS version.

bleejean
Paper Tape
Views: 744
Message 2 of 4

Re: x220 won't start up on battery power after BIOS update 1.24/1.25

Today I discovered that my laptop also wouldn't wake from sleep whether on ac power or not. I had to do a hard reset. Not sure why all the problems on the newer BIOS version but I reverted back to 1.11 and now everything is working great like before. I guess it it ain't broke, don't fix it.

lenovouser2012
What's DOS?
Views: 630
Message 3 of 4

Thanks for the post.

How did you do a hard reset?

I tried pulling out the battery for 10 mins but I still have the same issue.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Aamir

bleejean
Paper Tape
Views: 490
Message 4 of 4

LOL! I just tried updating to 1.28 BIOS and had forgotten about the problem I had last time (when I tried updating to 1.24/1.25). I was just looking up what to do and came across this thread. I took me way too long to realize I was reading my own post from months ago! Boy am I slow.

I don't know if you are still subscribed to this thread Aamir but a hard reset is when you turn off the computer by holding down the power button until it turns off. Are you (were you) having the same issue with the newer BIOS versions as I am?

I think that the x220 is an amazing laptop spec-wise but are there ever a lot of driver/software problems! I keep trying to use the newer BIOS versions but I always have to revert to the original because Windows 7 won't start if I am on battery power (so basically anytime that I am not at home). I just bought a mSATA SSD (which is why I tried to use the newest firmware, I heard that older ones don't support them) and though the BIOS recongizes it, now Windows won't start if the SSD is installed! There is not much use in having a laptop with lots of ports and expansion options if it doesn't work when you use them!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors