Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Autista
Paper Tape
Views: 2,899
Message 1 of 8

x230 BIOS. Boot order not changing

Hello,

I've a Thinkpad X230 and I want to change the Boot order but it's not possible.

I'm not aware thtat any kind of password have been defined and the system is never asking for one. I can edit all elements of the BIOS except for the Boot order.

could anybody help? I checked all possible threads regarding the BIOS but could not find my problemm anywere.

here are the screenshots of all the BIOS configuration.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/5f8gvchb2kx22s6/AAAmcRLBCLx4yHKlavOOqLl2a?dl=0

if naybody means that a password have been set up. Please let me know how could I make the system prompt for it because otherwise I could not even try to find out the password

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,889
Message 2 of 8

Re: x230 BIOS. Boot order not changing

Hello and welcome

Are you able to hit +/- keys to change the boot order?
Srartup menu-> Boot-> Choose the drive you want to change, hit "+" or "-" keys to change the order.

The option to prevent (lock) to change the boot order is disabled on your photo #25.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Autista
Paper Tape
Views: 2,852
Message 3 of 8

Sorry for the late Answer,

no, I can't hit the + / -. When doing so the computer is making a bip sound and I can't change anything.

I already saw that the Lock for the boot order is disabled but I'm not sure if any other option might be blocking something else.

Thanks

Autista
Paper Tape
Views: 2,850
Message 4 of 8

The only way I can boot into another device is by pressing Enter and afterwards F12 to access the temporary boot selection. That's the only way I have to boot into another HDD
Autista
Paper Tape
Views: 2,810
Message 5 of 8

Hello everybody in the Forum,

does anybody has an Idea what might be happening?

I got just one question wich I answered some time ago.

thanks in advance for any help

Community SuperMod
Community SuperMod
Views: 2,795
Message 6 of 8

The boot order interface is quite beepy i.e. easy to generate a beep. Are you using the up/down arrows to select a device first? If you are opening the Boot list and leaving #1 selected then pressing any key other than - or up/down you WILL get beeps.

Try opening the menu and then use the down arrow to select #5, then press - and it should move down. Press + and it should move up.

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 2,788
Message 7 of 8

@Autista wrote:

thanks in advance for any help

Have you tried to change the boot order using the F5/F6 keys?

-

L40SX/240/240X/340CSE/360PE/365XD/380D/380E/380XD/380Z/390/560E/560X/570/600/600E/750Cs/755C/760CD/760EL/760XD/770E/A20p/A22/A31/i1600/G40/R50p/R61i/S30/SL510/T22/T4x/T6x/T4x0/T5x0/W5x0/W700/X1/X2x/X3x/X4x/X6x/X6xT/X2xx/X200T/X30x/Z60m/Z61x

Español Comunidad en Español  English English Community  Deutsche Deutsche Community   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Untitled-4.png
Autista
Paper Tape
Views: 2,768
Message 8 of 8

Thank You! this works.

For anybody having trouble with the boot order I found a way to bypass the problem if you need to boot from another HDD than the primary. I have one Linux and one Windows Partition but I think this solution should work for pure Windows users to.

What I did to solve the Problem with the boot order without changing the BIOS Boot order:

1) Install Grub with a Ubuntu Live CD in the following way:

1.1) Install Boot repair in Ubuntu live CD. see this link

1.2) Use the advanced options of boot Repair and within "GRUB Location" check "Place GRUB in all disks". See link here

1.3) If you dont want Grub to appear insert "0" in the field "unhide Boot menu: XX seconds". See link

If you need it at some time, GRUB Boot Menu will appear if you press and hold "Shift" during loading Grub.

In this way the Boot sectors of all HDD's / SDD's are readed by GRUB and a list with all OS's in all HDD's will show up. You can also decide wich OS is the standard one.

I'am quite dissapointed that the way of changing the values of the elements is not shown in the BIOS. It's pointing to the use of +/- to change the values of the elements.

Anyway, I hope I will not forget the use of F5 / F6

Thanks everybody.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors