Did you mean: 
Highlighted
chamaraw
Paper Tape
Views: 2,049
Message 1 of 2

x230 THinkpad wireless adapter upgrade from 1X1 to 2X2 upgrade

Hi All,

I am new to lenovo so please help me to decide, I have purchased the x230 with thinkpad 1X1 b/g/n which only connects maximum at 72mbps. I tried all the settings in the router and network card, (changing channel to 40Hz ). I am bit disppointed since this card says it can do 150mpbs but never reaches the maximum speed more than 27mbps whereas my wifes MBP reaches 70Mbps. I am really disappointed with the wifi performance and thought of returning the machine now. 

Question1:

Can i replace the wifi card myself? i am too scared to look inside the laptop if that voids my warranty whether thinkpad 1X1 have two antennas connecting to the wifi card? will that have any impact on my warranty?

Question 2:

is Intel 6250 a good option to buy? ( I know there is a whitelisting/blacklisting), i am simply asking this since i am not sure the wifi card will fit in with the number antenna wires that will be avilable to fix a dual band (2X2) card.

Will anyone be able to help me with this situation? Thanks in advance , i need a speeder reponse since i have to return the machine by tomorrow.

lead_org Microsoft MVP Contributor
Microsoft MVP Contributor
Views: 2,030
Message 2 of 2

Re: x230 THinkpad wireless adapter upgrade from 1X1 to 2X2 upgrade

Q1. Lenovo doesn't consider the palmrest and wireless card a customer replaceable part. While, i have personally done to the upgrade from the 1x1 b/g/n to the intel 6205. It isn't very hard, just do it slowly and have an-anti-static wrist strap on.

Q2. 6250 is the 2x2 card with Wimax, do you use wimax?

The 1x1 card and 2x2 card both uses 2 antenna, the 3x3 uses 3 antenna (i.e. intel 6300).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lead_org/8276716468/in/set-72157631966265223/lightbox/

The X230 in that picture has the 1x1 card (prior to replacement), and the X220 in that picture has the 2x2 intel 6205.
=========
If you can return it and reorder then it would be the best.
Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors