cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 780
Message 11 of 28

Re: x230 with windows 7 still won't connect to any bluetooth devices after many attempted solutions

If you had unknown devices BT adapter related earlier it means this is a key of problem with new external BT devices.

Unpack driver .exe file before .inf file editing. Launch .exe, you should see a prompt for driver installation after unpacking. Cancel process at this stage and edit file in the folder where those files have been unpacked.

Or unpack .exe using external tool. Supported tool depends of the packing method (or driver installer version) - 7-Zip, UniExtract, UniversalExtractor... Then perform driver installation from the directory with unpacked files.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 779
Message 12 of 28

Re: x230 with windows 7 still won't connect to any bluetooth devices after many attempted solutions

Are you installing trial version of Toshiba drivers?

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique hand-made config
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

jktmedia
Fanfold Paper
Views: 758
Message 13 of 28

Sorry for late reply I was sick.  This is what I downloaded, version 8.00.12: http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/bluetooth/?page=download-toshiba .  Is this the correct file?

jktmedia
Fanfold Paper
Views: 751
Message 14 of 28

So now I need to copy USB\VID_0A5C&PID_21E6 into the unpacked (extracted) fine I downloaded, into the driver configuration (.inf) file?  I searched for inf in the folder and multiple files came under file type "configuration settings".  there is TbpSetup, TosBtUtl, Setup, TosSkypeApl, BT_LANG, TosBt1st, 0x0406.  I found Hardware ID only in TbpSetup but there are many devices (printers) under [DEVICELIST].  Where exactly do I paste my hardware ID?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 738
Message 15 of 28

Hi,

yes, that driver should work. There is v.9.10.15 on the off.site, seems it has better sound profile quality.

You'll need tosrfusb.inf for internal BT adapter.
If your BT card IDs aren't present there, sections to add new ID items or just to edit one of the existed:
[Standard], [Standard.NTamd64], [Strings]

If installer requests to turn on BT adapter or doesn't find it, hit "cancel" and continue to install. Then reboot laptop.

Note again, original drivers from on Toshiba site might be trial, for 30 days.

jktmedia
Fanfold Paper
Views: 727
Message 16 of 28

Hi I can't find tosrfusb.inf anywhere where is it supposed to be?  Sorry I didn't understand: " sections to add new ID items or just to edit one of the existed: [Standard], [Standard.NTamd64], [Strings]".  Also to confirm - if the original drivers from Toshiba site are 30 days trial only, it means Lenovo thinkpad x230 with  windows 7 and BT adaptor included essentially cannot use BT,  unless additional purchase from Toshiba? This seems like manufacturer flaw. Thanks.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 721
Message 17 of 28

Install Toshiba sw and find out .inf file on the laptop. It should be unpacked.

Regarding the trial drivers it's a deal of Toshiba. Those drivers don't relate to Lenovo laptops with their original built-in cards. They are 3rd party drivers for Lenovo but have much more quality, reliability and capabilities (profiles) against of the original Broadcom ones for Lenovo. Google tosbtchk.dll.

jktmedia
Fanfold Paper
Views: 705
Message 18 of 28

The original broadcom that was included with Lenovo doesn't work, I wouldn't mind even if it were poor quality!  Do you think any point contacting Lenovo to get broadcom sw repaired/replaced?

jktmedia
Fanfold Paper
Views: 696
Message 19 of 28

Thanks again for all your patience.  OK I found the tosrfusb.inf file and saw the different sections inside [Standard], [Standard.NTamd64], [Strings] but I still don't understand - 1. I need to paste the hardware ID inside this file?  If yes 2.  To where exactly inside the file do I paste it?   [Standard], [Standard.NTamd64] are identical looks like this: %TosrfUsb.DeviceDesc1%=TosrfUsb_Device,  USB\VID_08EA&PID_abba  and [Strings] looks like this: TosrfUsb.DeviceDesc1 = "Bluetooth USB Controller from TOSHIBA (Ericsson P3D)" and TosrfUsb.DeviceDesc53 = "MSI USB Bluetooth Device" etc etc. 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 677
Message 20 of 28

@jktmedia wrote:

Thanks again for all your patience.  OK I found the tosrfusb.inf file and saw the different sections inside [Standard], [Standard.NTamd64], [Strings] but I still don't understand - 1. I need to paste the hardware ID inside this file?  If yes 2.  To where exactly inside the file do I paste it?   [Standard], [Standard.NTamd64] are identical looks like this: %TosrfUsb.DeviceDesc1%=TosrfUsb_Device,  USB\VID_08EA&PID_abba  and [Strings] looks like this: TosrfUsb.DeviceDesc1 = "Bluetooth USB Controller from TOSHIBA (Ericsson P3D)" and TosrfUsb.DeviceDesc53 = "MSI USB Bluetooth Device" etc etc. 

1. yes, if your BT module IDs are absent there

2. have a look at my post above, again. There are 2 methods, at your choice:

- replace IDs within any existed item in the sections [Standard] AND [Standard.NTamd64] with ones you have. And replace the text in the section [Strings] for the same item # (1 or 53 in your example above). The text itself doesn't matter, at your choice. You'll see it in the Device Manager. For example, "ThinkPad Bluetooth 4.0"

- OR add new items within every three sections we are talking about, similar to the existed ones, with new item #.

As result, you should have the such strings (of course, keep another sections and strings):

[Standard]
; DisplayName Section DeviceId
; ----------- ------- --------
%TosrfUsb.DeviceDesc169%=TosrfUsb_Device, USB\VID_0A5C&PID_2101
%TosrfUsb.DeviceDesc170%=TosrfUsb_Device, USB\VID_0A5C&PID_21E6

[Standard.NTamd64]
; DisplayName Section DeviceId
; ----------- ------- --------
%TosrfUsb.DeviceDesc169%=TosrfUsb_Device, USB\VID_0A5C&PID_2101
%TosrfUsb.DeviceDesc170%=TosrfUsb_Device, USB\VID_0A5C&PID_21E6

; -------------- tosrfusb driver install sections
[Strings]
TosrfUsb.DeviceDesc169 = "Bluetooth Trendnet TBW-105UB"
TosrfUsb.DeviceDesc170 = "JKTmedia ThinkPad Bluetooth 4.0"

3. Lenovo isn't culprit of your issue. It's a deal of Broadcom, your laptop's BT module and drivers producer. I'm sure standard drivers are too old or/and incomplete for your external BT device (I mentioned about missed profiles). Another choice is to use BT module based on the another chip, but Lenovo doesn't offer such BT modules for x230. So, if you even will get new module there aren't a warranty that one will work with your BT equipment with standard drivers.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors