Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

9 Posts

03-17-2014

New Zealand

7 Signins

54 Page Views

• Views: 54
  • Message 1 of 3

x240 - SD Reader slot - Unable to extract card

2014-03-17, 8:35 AM

Hi,

I just reveiced my Lenovo Thinkpad x240 20AL000AAU with SD card reader integrated.

I inserted an SD card standard size and the card is read properly, I can access all the files and I can write on it.

The problem is that I cannot extract the card from the SD card slot!

If I right-click on SD card in My Computer and choose eject, it says that it is safe to remove the card. If I select "Safely remove Hardware and eject media" it tells me that it is safe to remove it...

but the card is stuck inside!

I read somewhere to press the card until I hear a click but I cannot hear any click.

Also the card is unreachable inside the slot. I cannot grab it to pull it. I can only press it a little bit with the nail, it goes one milimiter inside but I don't hear any click.

I have called the technical support and they were absolutely unable to help me. They did not even know how the system is supposed to work so they just suggest to send back the laptop to be repaired and have a technician retrieve my SD card from inside. The first day!!

Can anybody with knowledge about how this system works let me know if I am missing something or if my SD card reader is faulty?

Thank you.

Answer
Options

9 Posts

03-17-2014

New Zealand

7 Signins

54 Page Views

Re: x240 - SD Reader slot - Unable to extract card

2014-03-17, 20:09 PM
I was able to "fix" the problem.
I had to use a niddle to remove the SD card, then I checked that something metal-ish was hanging inside the SD card slot so i push it to follow its natural position and then I tried to insert the SD card again.

This time I could hear the click and when pressing it the SD card jumps out properly.

PS: In order to replace the SIM card I had to poke inside the SIM slot hole a small screw driver and the SIM slot pulled out.

PROBLEM SOLVED

Replies(2)
Answer
Options

9 Posts

03-17-2014

New Zealand

7 Signins

54 Page Views

• Message 2 of 3

2014-03-17, 20:09 PM
I was able to "fix" the problem.
I had to use a niddle to remove the SD card, then I checked that something metal-ish was hanging inside the SD card slot so i push it to follow its natural position and then I tried to insert the SD card again.

This time I could hear the click and when pressing it the SD card jumps out properly.

PS: In order to replace the SIM card I had to poke inside the SIM slot hole a small screw driver and the SIM slot pulled out.

PROBLEM SOLVED

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

1 Posts

07-24-2016

United States of America

1 Signins

8 Page Views

• Views: 8
  • Message 3 of 3

2016-07-24, 11:31 AM

This helped me too. If it unclear to other readers, here is some more detail. Just above the SD card slot is a SIM card tray. I don't have a SIM card. I pushed a needle (I think that's what the preior author meant by a niddle) into the hole in cover for the SIM card tray and it popped out. I set it aside and could see down into the SD slot from above in the SIM card slot. Protruding from the SD card slot below was a metal spring that seemed to be stuck just inside the plastic case. I pushed the SD card inward with one fingernail and used a pair of tweezers to push the spring down while releasing the SD card. It poppsed right out. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms