Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RaihanFarhad
Blue Screen Again
Views: 113
Message 1 of 5

x250 power or battery not both after cloning from x240

System: I bought an x250 with no disk, cloned my windows 10 from my x240 (easeus) and installed it. Everything worked perfectly, except one: the power. 

Problem: If I connect a power without any battery (external or internal), it works on power just fine. But if I install a battery (only external in this case), while the power cable is still in, laptop running, it switches to battery, and the power is not recognized at all.

So, if battery is installed, power cable is 'ignored' (no power indicator). If battery removed, power is recognized (power indicator)

Note: The battery is indeed charging when power is connected, although the power is not recognized, and there is no indication that the battery is charging. I just see the battery level keep going up when the power is connected.

I cannot update the bios because the updater requires full battery and power, but in my case the two are mutually exclusive. So, even though I have a fully charged battery and power connected, the updater refuses.

No other issues whatsoever.

Thanks for any help.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 60
Message 2 of 5

Re: x250 power or battery not both after cloning from x240

Hi RaihanFarhad! Welcome to our forums community. What we could suggest is for you to install Windows fresh through clean install. There is a possibility that that a program that is on the X240 might have caused the software issue incompatibility issue. Once you install Windows 10. Download and install the Lenovo Vantage here: https://vantage.lenovo.com/ and run the updates. Install all available updates then check if the issue persist. Update us how it goes.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

RaihanFarhad
Blue Screen Again
Views: 50
Message 3 of 5

thank you for your suggestion. Unfortunately, there is a lot of development related software that I need to set up, and cloning saves me that work. I will consider fresh install as a last resort.

I will try to update the bios, which I suspect is the problem. None of my software should interfere with anything low level.

I need to update the bios without Windows 10, so I will try to bootable method. Will post here if I succeed.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 45
Message 4 of 5

I see. Update us how it goes.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

RaihanFarhad
Blue Screen Again
Views: 35
Message 5 of 5

I conclude it is a defective mother-board, but a strange defect no doubt.

Here is what I tried:
1. Create a bootable USB for bios update. ( following this link  https://tojaj.com/lenovo-biosuefi-update-from-usb-stick-i-e-without-bootable-cd/)
2. Booted into the CD.
3. Try to update but the bios update program refused to proceed claiming I have not connected the AC (although I am running on AC).

By booting from the Lenovo image, I am eliminating all my installation, nothing but the current bios and the bootable USB involved, both from Lenovo. Since it still did not detect the AC, I conclude that it is a bad motherboard (or bios bug... will never know).

I will continue to use the laptop, since it does indeed charge although it doesn't even acknowledge that the AC adapter is connected (unless I remove all the batteries). So, a strange bug (or defect). 

Thanks again

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors